My laptop does not read external harddrives?

It does not read external harddrives or portable USB memories. There's nothing wrong with the harddrives themselves because they work on other computers. They used to work and i really need them to work, especially since i need to back-up my work

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

O.K. your laptop might not be recognizing that these external hard drives are being plugged in, first check when you plug the hard drive into a USB at the bottom of your screen it says that something has been plugged into a USB, if not then go to control panel from the start menu and click on add hardware, plug the external hard drive in, and click next if you have vista just click next again. if you run XP then click the hardware is already plugged in then click next. if its detects the hard drive then it will install it. if not hit next again and it will bring you to a list try to find the name of the hard drive there or something that says external hard drives. or something like that if you find it click on it and hit next and it will install it. If that doesn't work refer to me again.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If it is an old computer, it will never work for one reason:

The computer has USB v. 1.2 (or something like that, can't remember it correctly) and the hd has USB v 2.0 (otherways it goes way to slow).

Your old USB ports can't handle the speed. You can solve it by going to a computer shop, and ask if they can build in a USB v 2.0 slot in your computer (don't buy a USB v 2.0 hub and set it at an USB 1.2 slot, it won't work!). But even better, buy a new computer!

If your computer is new, you might try other USB ports. Or, is your HD fromatted at the NTFS filesystem? Is your computer linux or mac, or an old version of windows? Than it doesn't work and you need to format your HD (you loose all your files) to FAT32.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Try different USB ports. Update the USB ports. Change the USB cable. Try another USB medium.

• 1 decade ago

You need to actually describe the problem. What happens when you connect them? Do you get the "bee-boop" sound? Do they appear under "Device Manager"? Just telling us that something doesn't work is not helpful.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.