Requirements to become a Firefighter?

I need specific details of how to become a fire fighter, this is for my bf...not me lol please i can use all the info i can get, even just a website.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Most fire fighters have a high school diploma, however, the completion of community college courses, or in some cases, an associate degree, in fire science may improve an applicant’s chances for a job. A number of colleges and universities offer courses leading to 2- or 4-year degrees in fire engineering or fire science. In recent years, an increasing proportion of new fire fighters have had some education after high school.

As a rule, entry-level workers in large fire departments are trained for several weeks at the department’s training center or academy. Through classroom instruction and practical training, the recruits study fire fighting techniques, fire prevention, hazardous materials control, local building codes, and emergency medical procedures, including first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). They also learn how to use axes, chain saws, fire extinguishers, ladders, and other fire fighting and rescue equipment. After successfully completing this training, the recruits are assigned to a fire company, where they undergo a period of probation.

Many fire departments have accredited apprenticeship programs lasting up to 4 years. These programs combine formal instruction with on-the-job training under the supervision of experienced fire fighters.

Almost all departments require fire fighters to be certified as emergency medical technicians. (For more information, see the section of the Handbook on emergency medical technicians and paramedics.) Although most fire departments require the lowest level of certification, Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-Basic), larger departments in major metropolitan areas increasingly require paramedic certification. Some departments include this training in the fire academy, whereas others prefer that recruits earn EMT certification on their own but will give them up to 1 year to do it.

In addition to participating in training programs conducted by local fire departments, some fire fighters attend training sessions sponsored by the U.S. National Fire Academy. These training sessions cover topics such as executive development, anti-arson techniques, disaster preparedness, hazardous materials control, and public fire safety and education. Some States also have either voluntary or mandatory fire fighter training and certification programs. Many fire departments offer fire fighters incentives such as tuition reimbursement or higher pay for completing advanced training.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

They tend to vary from city to city. The bast thing to do is to drop by a local fire hall and ask.

But in most cases, one thing they have to be able to do is run up six flights of stairs with 100 lbs of gear on. And be able to carry another person weighing a bit over 200 lbs quickly up a flight of stairs while still wearing the full kit. And in neither case, be winded.

Even to be an EMT my daughter had to be able to run up a flight of stairs with a 70lb kit while wearing rescue gear and steel toe boots.

• 1 decade ago

most major cities offer firefighter positions, you just need to log on to the personnel website for your home city or county.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.