Rio asked in TravelUnited StatesMiami · 1 decade ago

Fort lauderdale, relocating, please Help!!?

Help!!! I'm moving to Fort Lauderdale with my boyfriend and 8 year old son. We are relocating from Albany NY. He's looking to get a job in a college, and Im into advertising/ marketing. We are also looking to Buy our first home. Where should we look?? Nice neighborhoods, BAD neighborhoods. Schools, jobs?? newspapers?? websites. Any info, would be God sent!!!!! Please help.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Fort Lauderdale is a great place for families and kids. A lot of the negative people are middle aged or older people who either A) lost their jobs in the economy and forclosed on their homes. B) dont't like how crowded it got down here during the 80's and 90's LOL C) are just malcontents who are unhappy whereever they live. LOL. The cost of living here is very high relative to most of the US, which is a negative factor plus the crime is worse than average here. Also, the drivers are very aggressive and we have the most expensive car insurance in the country. I would actually recommend renting when you first move here, as home prices are very expensive. Then as you live here longer, than make a decision whether to buy or rent. That's what I did.

I also have a son around your age, and its a great place to live if you have a good job lined up. There's a lot to do here, and the beaches here are great. The selection of resteraunts and entertainment here beats out anywhere else in Florida in terms of choices and things to do. Plus you've got Miami and South Beach a short 30 minute drive away, which makes for a good weekend trip occasionally.

Where to live: There are many places, but I would probably stay east because you'll be closer to the beach and to entertainment. For your son, schools are actually better in the western suburbs than the east, which can be a big influence. Here are some places I recommend:

1. Las Olas is a great place to live right in downtown Fort Lauderdale. It mostly consists of luxury condos, but on dual incomes the rents are actually very affordable now. You can walk places and there are many bars, resteraunts, nightclubs, etc in Las Olas. It is the central entertainment district in Fort Lauderdale.

2. Fort Lauderdale Beach and Lauderdale-by-the-Seas are two nice areas on the water where you can rent or buy a beach house or condo, again very affordable right now on a dual income.

3. East Hollywood/Hallandale Beach- a lot of entertainment and located right in between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Just know that the population is heavily Hispanic there, and the area is very congested and crowded. There is an over-abundance of nice modern beach condo's on Hollywood Beach and the prices are down right now. I would stay east and avoid West Hollywood.

4. If you want more of a suburbia environment that is quieter, check out Plantation which is located due west of Fort Lauderdale. It is more of a traditional FL suburb community, but has a generally younger population that other areas. There is also lots of shopping in the area

and you can easily get to the beach or downtown by taking 595 east about 8 miles.

Coral Springs, Weston, Sunrise, Davie, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach, and Coconut Creek are other options, but are farther commutes to/from Fort Lauderdale. You will have traffic to contend with in the mornings to.

You would not be as happy living in Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, Miramar, or Weston since they are too far west and out of the way. Also, Miramar tends to be mostly Hispanic or Black. I'm not racist at all, I'm just pointing that out as that may be a deciding factor for some people. Margate, Tamarac, Deerfield Beach, and Pompano Beach tend to have older populations, although there are pockets of younger people in Pompano.

You will want to avoid the Northwest section of Fort Lauderdale around W.Broward Blvd, Sunrise Blvd, and Oakland Park Blvd, as most areas are poor, run-down, crime ridden, and consist of section 8 housing, and bad schools too. Also avoid Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, North Lauderdale, much of western Pompano Beach, West Hollywood, and most of Miramar. Again same as above, bad area, people, and schools.

A general rule of thumb in Broward County is to live either east of US-1, or west of Florida's Turnpike. Most of the areas in-between is run-down, crime ridden, and ghetto.

You may want to take your family down to Fort Lauderdale and visit to get to know the area. Look at elementary schools in the good areas I mentioned for your child. In all honesty, you will experience a major culture shock when you move down here, so will your son when he goes to school. Just remember give some time, you'll get used to all the diversity and love it. Good luck with your move!

• 3 years ago

Relocating To Fort Lauderdale

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

ncorporated on March 27, 1911, the City of Fort Lauderdale is situated on the southeast coast of Florida, centrally located between Miami and Palm Beach. Encompassing more than 33 square miles with a population of 170,000, Fort Lauderdale is the largest of Broward County's 31 municipalities and the eighth largest city in Florida. Embraced by the Atlantic Ocean, New River and a myriad of scenic inland waterways, Fort Lauderdale truly lives up to its designation as the "Venice of America."

http://www.blindearlaw.com/

• 1 decade ago

There are lots of decent cities in broward county: hallandale beach, hollywood, west pembroke pines, cooper city, coconut creek, davie, plantation etc. The bad neighborhoods are east miramar, lauderhill, lauderdale lakes, oakland park, pompano beach, and some parts of west ft lauderdale. I've lived in hallandale beach, hollywood and pembroke pines and never had a problem. The distances in broward county are long and the traffic is heavy. good luck.

Source(s): former local
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Get married first. Give your son a good example.

• 4 years ago

Davie is good for all three levels of schools- elementary, middle and high school. And not as crowded as the rest of the area. Also not so ghetto!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.