Rogue Bullies asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Female VS. Male in dog working/sporting events?

For my next dog which I hope to get in a year or so I want to get a bull terrier or an APBT (haven't decided yet).

I really like male dogs better because I think they are more sweet and playful. However I already have two male bullies and I think it would be a good idea to get a female for my next dog for that reason and a few others.

However I am mostly interested in doing sporting events like weight pulling and stuff (as well as showing). Do the males normally do better at sports like that? Because that is one of the reasons why I want to get a another dog is to do working events and if they are not going to be able to complete and win against the other males then there is not point really in me getting a female.

What do you think? Do males do better than females at working events like this? Or does it not matter?

Thanks!

Update:

What do you think about getting a male with my other 2 males I already have? He will be left intact.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Chetco
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I believe your pack structure will be better with a female.

To get a hard working male, he would need to be of an intense temperament, with a lot of drive, and your other (pet) dogs would become subordinate.

Females do great at agility, as they tend to focus better for longer training sessions. The same with SAR, females generally stick to it longer, with less complaints.

In weight pulling, it is dependent on the dog's weight class, so you would be on even ground, there.

In the show ring, the females and males have an even chance, in my breed. I see (below) that the top BTs are female.

At the Westminster 2009, the Best of Breed Bull Terrier (colored) was a female:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2009/results/...

Same show..the Best of Breed Bull Terrier (white) is female.

However, in the results for AmStaffs, the top winners were all male.

Added: If you do get a female, your males would be easier to live with as altered, or are likely to compete for her, once she matures.

Source(s): btdt
  • Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

There are behaviours that are specific to individual breeds, and dogs for that matter, but with my own main breed, there is really no difference between the genders, other than the fact that the male Basset is 'more' - wrinkles, bigger usually and heavier. Obviously the one big difference is the fact that a b itch will come into season roughly twice a year, but the intervals between seasons varies. I'd suggest with the Mastiff, her cycle will probably be closer to 8+ months, than 6 months. Some bitches can get 'moody' when in season, although again, I didn't see this in my girls. But that's easily remedied by getting a b itch spayed by around 6 months! I have found my girls to be rather more independent than my boys who just want cuddles (don't they all!). But again, each breed is different, and so is each dog within that breed. If you are considering having this b itch, I'd go sit down with her breeder who if she's responsible, and cares where her puppies are going, should be more than willing to discuss all the pros and cons of the breed, including any difference between the genders. ps I started off with male Bassets, one first and another 10 months later. But this was more about the wrinkles, and the fact I'd never been around a female dog.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Really depends upon what you are doing.

Generally I've found b*tches to be flashier and easier to show (although harder to win with in the breed/group ring do to size and lack of coat - which would NOT be an issue in your case). I've also found them more easy to motivate for agility and for weight pull. One of the advantages in weight pull is that very often the smaller b*tches can win based on what percentage of their weight they can pull - the record holder for IWPA for years was a 32 lb Sam b*tch.

Working around b*tches being in season can be a chore, though... less so for a breed that doesn't blow it's coat to buck nekkid every time they go in season though.

• Pat W
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

In herding and agility sex doesn't matter a bit both do equally well, the only caveat is with a female unless spayed you will have to work around her heat cycle as a lot of events do not allow bitches in season to compete

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Males tend to be more intense, more hard, more willing to put out in certain things. In my type or sport, there are almost no females participating and the ones that are, look and act like males.

If you want to get into a serious level competition, get a male, I think you will be happier with his over all performance!!

Source(s): Realist
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.