How much is an old copy of David Copperfield worth?

I've an American print of David Copperfield from 1882 or so, and I would like to know it's value. It is not a first edition, nor is it signed or particularly special, but I was wondering what the 'average amount' was for that period. The man at the rare book shop could not give me an answer.

Favorite Answer

If it's not a first edition or an otherwise rare and desirable edition, then it's probably niot worth a lot of money. Why don't you sit down and read it and enjoy it? That would be priceless.

Most books published between the 1860s and the 1920s are worth $3 - $5 US--if you can find a buyer. There are exceptions--first editions, autographed copies, private printings--but nearly all of them are worth very little and finding buyers is difficult.

It's probably worth more to read, own, and enjoy than you could get for it. Think about what the world was like when that book was rolling off the printer!