Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Ive Got a Bad Habit With Biting?

I've got a bad habit from biting my nails, I've recently Been trying to stop. Any Solutions?

Favorite Answer

There are products that you can "paint" on your nails that taste so outrageously horrible that you won't put your fingers in your mouth again.

One product is called "Control It" another is called "No Bite". You can find them either online or at drug stores. Ask the pharmacist, he/she will help you.

hey i have had the same prob all my life until bout 6 months ago! an now my nails look awesome! an everyone makes comments on them!

all i did was go out an get a bunch of nice nail polish, an cute decals

i do them every 3 - 4 days, and keep it up, oh an push ur cuticles bk as often as u can without hurting urself,

the nail polish makes them harder to bite off, an always carry a file!!!

those anoying lil flakes and bits that peel make u wanna get rid of it more, filing makes them all smooth an less irritating

if u bite them cause u get nervous, try to find something else to do instead, i twiddle my necklace now an it helped me

Source(s): refomed bad biter

I was always told to put nail polish on them, but funnily enough, I became sort of immune to the taste and carried on biting (bad, I know).

I wish I could help you better, but I can just tell you that my mum was always saying, "Imagine all the diseases you can get from that!" (As mums do). And, in the end, I Googled diseases from nail biting. Grossed me out to hell. But, yeah, I'm not much help.

Another thing is, if you're nail biting, you are probably under a lot of stress. Try to relax a bit, hard as it may sound ;)

Anyway, I hope I helped with my babbling :D Good luck...

• Mar

At this moment I think you have long nails right? So this have to go, If you really want to stop the habit of biting it, you'll have to cut it so short that everytime you have the urge to bite, there's nothing to bite into. Keeping it so short and clean, I'll assure you the habit will automatically stop.

1. Confront your problem. Get a camera and take some pictures of your bitten fingernails. Examine your nails, and list their problems.

2. Visualize yourself with healthy nails, and how great they will look.

3. Pick at least one nail to "protect" at a time.

* After a few days, an non-bitten nail will flourish and reward you. Do not bite it. If you must, bite one of the 'unprotected' ones. Sometimes it helps knowing that you have another nail to bite, even if you don't actually nibble at any unprotected ones.

* Once you have grown your non-bitten nail for a while, start protecting another one. And another. And another, until every single nail is protected.

4. Eat calcium and magnesium - rich foods so that your nails will repair and grow well. Not only that, but most of the reason that the human body wants to bite nails is the lack of calcium and magnesium in the body and the body needs that material back.

5. Push your cuticles back. Many nail-biters do not have "moons" on the base of their fingernails because their cuticles have not been pushed back. To do this, gently push your cuticles towards your finger to reveal more of your nail. This is easier to do after a shower when your hands and nails are wet. This makes the nail appear longer, and it gives a more attractive shape, which might also be a motivation to stop biting.

6. Find a habit to take the place of nail biting. Whenever you have the urge to bite, do that instead. Some people like to drum their fingers, or just stare at their hands. Just make sure it's not a bad habit; choose a helpful one or one that doesn't really matter either way. 'Bitrex' is a chemical that is put in products to make them taste foul, obtained from your local pharmacy. It's included in nibble inhibitors that you paint on to your nails. Carry some with you at all times. Apply your nasty solution several times a day. If you get used to the taste, choose another brand.

7. Distract your mouth. Eat carrot sticks to keep you busy. Keep a stick of gum handy for those weak moments.

8.

No more idle hands..

No more idle hands..

Distract your hands by taking up a hobby.

* A hobby to distract your hands might be making models or maintaining your house, knitting or crochet, running or other outside pursuits, or even nail care and decoration! Distract your hands at times when you usually bite your nails ( car rides, sitting in class, watching TV, ect...).

* For those whose nail biting is obsessive/compulsive it may help to approach your hobby obsessively.

9. Cover your nails. For females, fit artificial nails. They can really help. For guys, polish them and apply some shine/growth promoter or petroleum jelly. It's harder to bite nails that are looking great!

* Keep gloves in your back pocket and wear them when you want to bite.

10. If you have any surplus growth, cut your nails back. Keep clippers with you at all times. You can't bite if there's nothing there!

11. Speaking about your nails will help to focus your mind on your goals. Ask for help from your partner(s). Keep talking about your goals.

* Show off your improved nails', and get much-needed encouragement and praise from your peers.

12. Be proud of your improving nails. They will shine with beauty.

13. Go for a manicure, and chat with the manicurist about having great nails.

* If you are male and you go in for a manicure and anyone gives you grief for not being manly, just say you are taking radical steps, whatever it takes. That should be manly enough for anyone.

14. Keep looking after your nails, with cuticle oil, shine and growth promoter, and no biting!

Put garlic on your nails!! It will help them grow, and everytime you try to bite them the garlic smell will keep you away!!

No one else will smell it unless you put your fingers in their nose...

Hope that helps!!

nail polish, and at a local drug store they sell this thing that you put on your nails, that taste really bad, its clear like nail polish but its not, so when you bite it, it taste grosss.

Try finding something to else to chew like gum

Soak your nails in vinegar.

dip them in lemon juice

or paint them... that way you would be less likely to bite them.