Question about russia?

i was going to join the army soon and i wanted to know if russia was a safe enough place to go to.....like are there any wars going on now????

Favorite Answer

Almost all of Russia is as safe as most other European countries - and safer than some. According to your future boss however, there is one exception they chose to warn all US citizens of:

U.S Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Country Specific Information:

Russian Federation

THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY: Due to continued civil and political unrest throughout much of the Caucasus region of Russia, the Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens against travel to Chechnya and all areas of the North Caucasus, including North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Stavropol, Karachayevo-Cherkessiya, and Kabardino-Balkariya. The U.S. Government’s ability to assist Americans who travel to the Caucasus region of Russia is extremely limited. Throughout the region, local criminal gangs have kidnapped foreigners, including Americans, for ransom. American citizens have disappeared in Chechnya and remain missing. Close contacts with the local population do not guarantee safety. There have been several kidnappings of foreigners and Russian citizens working for media and non-governmental organizations in the region. Due to the ongoing security concerns, U.S. Government travel to the region is very limited. American citizens residing in these areas should depart immediately.

Acts of terrorism, including bombings and hostage takings, have continued to occur in Russia, particularly in the Caucasus region. In the past, bombings have occurred at Russian government buildings, hotels, tourist sites, markets, entertainment venues, schools, residential complexes, and on public transportation including subways, buses, trains, and scheduled commercial flights. Extremist groups occasionally threaten to set off bombs in market areas of major cities that are operated largely by migrant workers."

There is a lot more - mostly rather generic warnings to be careful and not do anything stupid - see the link below. They are pretty conservative about citizen safety (that's their job); that's why they sound a little on the cautious side. Listening to them is a good idea - "err on the side of caution".

Basically, that means that outside of that rather small corner of Russia, its about as safe as most of Europe.

That being said, I question the wisdom of YOU traveling to Russia. Why?

While I could learn little about you, you are apparently

(1) American, which means the probability you never traveled overseas is very high.

(2) Very young - apparently in your late teens.

(3) Female

(4) Very unaware of international politics or current events.

I admit these are estimates, based on your other questions - but I bet I'm close on 1, 2, and 4, and you are obviously female. Even if you've traveled Europe in the past, I'll bet you didn't do it alone, and you didn't do Eastern Europe. Unless you can travel there with some experienced international travelers - preferably travelers who visited Russia before, and preferably significantly older than you - I would strongly advise against you going there at all. I'm not just talking Russia - I'm talking all of Europe. If you never traveled before, I wouldn't even advise you travel to the UK alone, the 1st time.

Stay safe, think twice, err on the side of caution.

in Russia now have been no fighting. Last time it was in Chechnya in the early 2000s

Russia is as safe as anywhere else in the world.

Source(s): The Mendeleyev Journal http://russianreport.wordpress.com/

Yes, as safe as my home on Dagobah