Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Does the following from the Gospel of Phillip indicate that Mary is a goddess?

Jesus said: Some say, "Mary conceived by the Holy Spirit." They are in error. They do not know what they are saying. When did a woman ever conceive by a woman? Mary is the virgin whom no archon has ever defiled.

Favorite Answer

The Gospel of Phillip is not canon. Why would you address any sort of question / issue from a document that the Church has already rejected outright as truth?

• Wow....someone asking about something from the Gospel of Philip. I'm impressed.

You missed a part though......

"She is a great anathema to the Hebrews, who are the apostles and the apostolic men. This virgin whom no power defiled [...] the powers defile themselves. And the Lord would not have said "My Father who is in Heaven" (Mt 16:17), unless he had had another father, but he would have said simply "My father"."

No, I do not believe Mary was a Goddess no more than I believe we are Gods. We have the capacity to think as Gods if we so choose. Beyond that......we be people

Psalms 82:6

I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

John 10

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are agods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Wouldn't it follow, by logic, that the 'Holy

Spirit' is the goddess and not 'Mary'?