Engine failure right before touchdown? Go around or take a risk?

Assume a big jet is coming in for touchdown. At 200 feet AGL, an engine suffers a bird strike. In this scenario, what would the pilot do? Go around or try to land her with one engine out? I would assume most would go around for safety precautions but are there any SOPs dictating what the correct thing to do is? Any help out there is greatly appreciated!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Paul M
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If a bird strike killed an engine at 200agl which I agree is possible, what in the hell would be safer about climbing back into the sky that would be safer than just landing??

Considering that at 200agl you should have the runway insight and landing is assured. SOPs dictate that you land but of course using flight control inputs as necessary in the event of an engine failure or any other abnormality.

The only reasons to abort a landing at 200agl or below would be if you could not see the runway on a cat. 1 instrument appr. Or if the runway was in anyway obstructed. Wind shear or other unforeseen natural phenomena.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

With a runway right there in front of you, you land! You do not go around with an engine out unless for some reason cannot see the runway or it is not clear or the landing gear will not extend (at 200 feet it should be down and locked). Seems kind of obvious to me.

Source(s): Professional pilot 24 years
  • John R
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Your question has it backwards - Going around would be taking the risk.

Loosing an engine during a landing is not a big problem - you don't need power to land, and with the engines set to a low power setting there is little effect from asymmetrical thrust. If you were not looking at the engine gages you may not be able to tell that one failed!

• `✪~
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

200 feet is too low to make a safe landing .. unless you have the control over the aircraft due to the opposite thrust forces from the functioning engine.. You can just land..

A go around doesn't assure you of next safer landing..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Just land!

You can easily land with one engine , most of the multi engine training is all about it...the whole idea of having a multi engine is redundancy!

After you land you can take care of the engine...

Just imagine...incase you for a go-around struggling with one engine and getting a very little fpm climb on the next approach what if you have a bird strike on the good engine? Landing with two dead engines? not me!

Source(s): Multi Engine CPL
  • Rob G
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Why would you go around when you are 200 feet from touchdown? You just land of course.

• Mark
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

A bird strike is't an engine failure.

Neither is a bird ingestion.

Continue the descent.

You're down near idle thrust anyway.

What "risk"?!

• 1 decade ago

At 200 AGL, land it.

• 1 decade ago

If you were to fall off the bow of a fast-moving ship, and someone amidships throws you a life ring, would you grab it or swim around a bit waiting to see if someone on the stern will throw you a life ring too? Your apparent lack of common sense is appaling. I wish you luck at enjoying a long life.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you just land the plane... going around would make the situation a million times worse!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.