My computer's outlet is wired to a wall switch. What's the best way to avoid my pc's power getting cut off?

The outlet that my computer is plugged into is wired to a wall switch. This is an annoyance since my mom kindly comes into my room when I leave the house and "shuts off my lights" for me, destroying any unsaved work I've done on the computer.

What's the best way to avoid the switch from cutting off my power? I'd like to avoid any rewiring if possible. Maybe they make some kind of replacement wall switch plate I can use? The current plate has spots for two switches, one of which I need to be able to turn on/off.

Best Answer

Turn off the breaker that powers that light switch.

Remove the light switch.

Connect the like-colored wires to each other with wire nuts.

Install a blank switch plate (required by code).

Control your light with a fixture mounted switch like a pull chain (if it's a ceiling light).

When you move, your bedroom is required to have a switch operated outlet (required by code), so replace the switch if you sell your house.

Source(s): I just bought a house and am doing home improvements. Some of those include electrical work. I also work for a large architecture/engineering firm (mechanical engineer).

I'm assuming another outlet is not available, as that would be the obvious first choice. Failing this, you can use duct-tape to temporarily keep the switch turned on.

I know you would prefer to avoid wiring, but it is truly the best option and will only cost $4-$6. If it were me I would rewire the switch. Start by plugging a radio or something loud into the outlet, then find your circuit panel and switch off whichever breakers or fuses you think are powering your room (turn off your computer first). Keep trying circuits until you hear the radio turn off.

Now go back to your room and remove the switch faceplate. Since you said there is another switch, there may still be live wires in the circuit box, so don't touch any wires unless absolutely necessary. Unscrew the two screws that hold the switch into place and pull it straight from the box. There will be two wires connected to it; disconnect them.

Now straighten the wires, and take a marette connector and use it to connect the two wires from the switch. Replace the circuit box cover with either the original cover with the hole taped over, or a new, correct style cover. Now turn on the power at the circuit panel, and you are done! Keep the original switch and cover in case you want to reconnect them at a later date. You can find all your required parts at Home Depot.

Source(s): Personal experience, doing electrical work my entire life

I've wired lots of these and typically the electrician will split the outlet so that one plug is switched and the other is not (top, bottom). If this is not the case you're only real option is re-wiring. Obviously you can't have the light on all the time so you need to have someone check to see if the outlet box has constant power. Then you can split the outlet (remove little tabs on the side that go between the two screws) and have one switched and the other unswitched. Good luck.

Source(s): Master Electrician
  • Hanna

Have you added any new devices to your system? A new device may be drawing extra power and your power supply may not have enough volts to support the extra demand. Have you moved your computer recently? You may have put it somewhere that obstructs the vents on the computer. Make sure ALL the fans are working, especially the fan on the heatsink, on the processor. Basically, it sounds like the computer is overheating and shutting itself down is a protection measure. FIRST thing to do is CLEAN the computer's inside, clogged up vents or fans restrict airflow. Blow it out with compressed air, using a vacuum is not a good idea.

The solution is not a mechanical one, it's a matter of what state the system is being left in for the time you're away.

Rather than just leaving your system 'on', use 'Hibernate'.

Shutdowns using the 'hibernate' method gives several benefits: It's a near zero power state; all 'Startup' folder items are already loaded, Windows background services are already 'up', and >>all open work moves to the hard drive<<

And if power is lost or turned off as in your case, the document or picture you were working on won't be lost like it would be in 'Standby' or "On", and the system will resume just where you left it.

I once bought a simple plastic thing that screwed on to the switch plate so the switch could not be moved. The easiest thing is to apply tape over the switch. You may just want to cover the switch (while it is turned on) with

a piece of paper you have cut to appropriate size, then apply scotch tape to all sides of the paper, so it forms like a paper-patch that you stick over the switch , reminding anyone not to mess with it.

Get a piece of cardboard and fold it so that it makes a "box" and tape it around the switch. Specifically, the entire switch should be covered so that you would need to remove the box to flip the switch.

Oh...and stop leaving unsaved work on your PC. Save often.

Just save your work before you leave your room and oh yeah turn off the computer. It is still sucking down power.

Your best bet is to buy a UPS otherwise known as battery backup.. It automatically turns on battery power when you lose power and shuts down the PC after 5 mins of power outage . (amount of time PC runs on battery can be changed to more or less time but will auto shut down when the battery is close to running out)

They usually run at about 60-100 for one like this that will run a 500 watt PC for about 3-5 mins with no power which is plenty of time for the PC to shut down properly I use this one on my 650 watt PC http://www.opti-ups.com/Products/Item.aspx?model=G...

kindly explain the situation to your mother

shut off the lights yourself

move your comp to another wall receptacle