KeKe asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I want a pit bull, but is it the right dog for me? (NO BULLY HATERS!!)?

I'm 16 years old and wanting a pit bull, also I'm a girl :)

I really want a pit bull because every one that I have known (which is many) are very sweet, loving and playful. I understand that they can be dangerous if not trained right. Also I understand that the breed has been corrupted by the stupid breeders that breed the animal aggressive trait into the dogs...

I live in a medium sized house with lots of room. Our yard is huge and I also have a large area that is fenced in. My only concern would be that she or he would have to be outside while I go to school. I am more than willing to take him or her on walks in the morning before I go to school at 7 am. And I get out of school at around 2 each day. I understand that these dogs tend not to do good when left alone, but if needed, I have my grandparents at my house that could give him or her company.

My grandma has a daycare that has around 3-4 kids each day under 5. I also understand that pit bulls can get jumpy and knock them over, that is why I would want to keep her outside in the long area of fenced in yard where she can easily run around.

So I understand the nasty things that my neighbors can say to me, and I am willing to protect this dog with my life. Where she would be kept is around the back side/ garage side of the house, which behind that is just a large open field so no one can see in.

I know that I am a little young, but I will be able to set the alpha position in this relationship. I love animals, but I defiantly understand that every breed needs structure. So If you could give me an opinion that would be great!

Also, my town does not have the BSL law in place, nor are there any breeds that have been banned. xD my town only has about 10 thousand people in it.

• Favorite Answer

I am a bully breed owner, but I think that question here is not so much whether a pit bull would be good for you at this time but whether or not a dog is good for you at this time. I would love to see one more dog rescued (which I hope is what you would be doing) but I am not so sure that your circumstances would allow for you to keep it. It's great that you have a fenced yard, are available for at least two walks daily, have no BSL, and seem to have a lot of love to give. The problem is the daycare. I am not sure whether regulations state no dogs in a home daycare, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Even if it is within regulations many parents may feel uneasy about this to say the least. All dogs could potentially pose a threat to people outside of your family or "pack." I do not worry about what my bully breed would do around strangers but whether you get a pup or an adult it will take time for you to get to know your new friend and train him/her. I would say this about any breed. There is a huge stigma about bullies as you know and this will cause your grandma's insurance costs to rise if they will even cover her. There is a lot of liability with a dog in a daycare environment.

Let's suppose your grandparents are on board for getting a PB and daycare rules and parents permit:

I do not mean to treat you like a child (but many adults do not even realize) but are you and/or your grandparents prepared for vet bills? Flea and heartworm medicine? Dog food? The start up cost of collar, leash, food and water dishes, toys, etc.? I had a job while in high school but I couldn't have afforded all the money that goes into keeping my pup healthy and happy now. If you have talked this over with your grandparents and done some research then awesome! You can contact me about my start up costs if you would like- I have only had my current dog for about 6 months so I remember first vet bills and such. So, if you and your grandparents are prepared, and the daycare parents are on board, and you have a good and insured home for them, what's left? A crate!

Please do not rely on leaving your dog outside all day. If it MUST be in a secure, enclosed place while you are at school then a crate is best. I grew up on a lot of farm land and had dozens of dogs in my short lifetime... to be honest not a single one was ever crated. Circumstances are different for me now; my bully is my first dog as an adult in my own place (rented). While he is under a year old or so he goes in a crate when no one is home and at night to sleep. He feels comfortable in there and safe. He may be sad sometimes when we leave during the day but at night he is restless and won't sleep well if we leave him out past his "bedtime." Have your grandparents let him out to use the bathroom at least once while you are at school, more times if you get a puppy. Socialize the dog. Take him to see and play with other dogs and people. Spend time sticking your hands in his mouth, getting down near his food dish while he's eating, gently tug on his tail and ears, play with his feet... sounds strange but this will help you monitor for aggression in any breed and give you the chance to correct behaviors that you do not like. You wouldn't want to find out the hard way that your dog has food aggression when a child tries playing with his dog food! Obedience school wouldn't be a bad idea either. On a lighter note, my American Bulldog has a lot of gas, so be prepared! HAHA

Source(s): owner of a bully breed, former owner of other breeds

Firstly, good for you for seeing past the negative stereotype put on these dogs by ignorant people!

Secondly, because you are 16 years old, you're going to need a parent or guardian adopt the dog. I would suggest an adult pit bull or pit mix from a rescue with a foster care program. I myself am a pit bull owner, am currently fostering a pit mix, and have fostered over a dozen other "bully breeds". They are, by nature, good dogs that need firm but loving leadership to bring out their best qualities. I do not recommend these dogs for the first time owner that isn't well versed in dog psychology and body language.

There are many benefits to adopting a dog from a foster care program. The dog will have already lived in a home (so it will most likely be housetrained), have an in-depth personality profile written up, been thoroughly vetted (spayed/neutered, up to date on all shots, and microchipped), and have undergone basic training. Additionally, if it isn't a good fit, the rescue will take the dog back.

Pits need to be constantly challenged (mentally and physically). Make sure you're getting a dog that would fit into you home's lifestyle and that you would be able to fulfill all it needs. Pits, by nature, are not human aggressive but can be feisty toward other dogs (like all other terriers), so you'll want to make sure the dog can get along fine in various settings (again, the foster home should have this information available).

I would not leave the dog unattended in a backyard. Someone could steal it to use for a malicious purpose or it could get out (if the yard is not 110% secure). I love my pit mix but understand if I didn't have a 6 foot cinder block wall on either side of the yard it wouldn't be wise to leave him unattended.

Be sure to enroll in a dog obedience class or get plenty or research materials on dog training to be sure that the dog accepts you as their new leader. It will also have to see your grandmother in the same light if she will be watching him/her.

Also, a lot of people will be hesitant to leave their children with your grandmother if there is a dog on the premises (you wouldn't want to hurt her business). I adore my dog but adopted him when I knew he would be my sole responsibility.

Good luck on your search for a loving companion! All the best to you!

Source(s): I am an animal rescuer (and pit bull owner) in NYC.

No I am sorry but I think you are a little too young for a pit bull. They need to be handled by someone who is experienced with and understands the breed very well. They are considered a personal protection dog and are not for the first time dog owner either.

Why get a dog to throw it outside in the backyard??

Save up, turn 18, move out and then get a dog so you can housebreak him and keep him inside.

Dogs are PACK animals and need to be INSIDE with the family

add:

Emilie is right, what if someone steals him for fighting purposes?? EVEN IF YOUR GRANDMA IS HOME...she won't keep an eye on the dog 24/7 if she MUST TAKE CARE of 5 children. Better be safe than sorry. Just wait till you move out and have money saved up

DICKN200: being Atlanta is stuffed with Michael Vick backin' thugs, I'm definite your pit bull chunk & assault cost is top. The puppies aren't at fault there. If you visible the ESPN Town Hall Meeting discussing Vick, you all could recognize my announcement. ninety nine% of the room used to be black, and while the query used to be requested of the viewers. "Do you consider puppy combating will have to be legalized?" and ladies and youngsters had been clapping and yelling. It used to be sickening! I can truthfully see why the pit bulls of Atlanta are screwed up. Look on the ignorant humans that they're within the palms of. Anyhoo, I desire you'll be able to contact base with one of the crucial lack of knowledge, it is a tons. Good Luck =)

• I agree with Emilie as well and Cute Little Paws.

This breed is the #1 breed that is commonly stolen. Why put the dog outside only to increase those risks of someone stealing him ? And those thiefs might have alot more plans than just keeping him as a "pet".

I would wait ti'll you get your own place, have a stable lifestyle, and then get a dog.

First of all, it's illegal to sell anyone under 18 years old a dog. Your parents will have to purchase the dog. Do they know that you're posting this?

A lot of day care centers are NOT allowed to have dogs of any sort.. Has your grandma checked that out? I would imagine that your grandma will lose business if the parents find out there is a PB. Lots of homeowners insurance companies will not insure a home where such a breed lives.

So, there is much to be checked out before purchasing such a breed, something that an adult will have to do.

Me and my friend purchased a dog from Kinneman Kennels. Reasonably priced, very friendly people, and dogs turned out amazing. They have the absolute best temperaments. We take them to dog parks often, and they get along with every breed imaginable, even the toy breeds. - Paul

One thing, I wouldn't be very comfortable with leaving a pit in my backyard when noones home.. AT ALL.

Too much risk of someone stealing it for fighting etc.

I think you are a perfect candidate. Unfortunately, leaving a dog outside isn't good. You can adopt an adult, and a well trained dog will respect your grandma, and she would be able to handle him quite easily. Please get one from a shelter, they are so common there,.