What's the point of praying for a sick person to be healed?

When someone i knew got cancer, practically every christian person who found out said "i'll be praying for their recovery" but i don't see the point of it. Does that mean if they didn't pray, then god would just let my friend die of cancer?

In other words, if praying for someone to be healed is what heals that person (which i've heard countless claims of), then that must mean if that person hadn't been prayed for, god would have let them die.

However, if that person would have been healed by god regardless of the prayer, what's the point of even asking god to do something it's going to do anyways?

(ps. i know it's a small logical question in the realm of a staggeringly illogical text but it's something no one has been able to explain to me without immediate contradictions)

All i'm getting out of these responses is that there's really no reason to pray because god is just going to do whatever he wants.

And apparently, god wants millions of people to die horrible, agonizing deaths.

Favorite Answer

I cannot figure out why so many people on this message board feels that their destiny is written out and nothing can change it.

That is such a pile of crap, pardon my language.

We have free choice, there are many paths we can take, so we make the choice, not God.

Sometimes I feel like I am reading some Scifi book or watching Twilight Zone for the silly ideas that come out of your minds.

Where is the true knowledge? You all have the same confused mistaken ideas that God has made all your decisions for you. It is just not true.

I may not be college grad but I have enough sense to know what Free Will means and doesn't me.

Hey kids get with the program.

Here is my testimony of how my Mom was healed. She lived many years after wards. At the ripe old age of 93 she went home to be with the Lord. But not sick.

Without praying many people would die.

God does hear our prayers and He healed my Mom who was given 6 hrs to live. The doctors told us that her pancreas had died and needed to be removed. They said that she had gangrene in her intestines. So we began to pray and we called 700 club and they prayed for her, we called all the spirit filled churches to pray and ours prayed. People came from all over to lay hands on her and pray. The doctors went in to remove the dead pancreas. When they got in there, they were able to suction out all the gangrene and when they got to her pancreas they found that to their utter amazement that the pancreas had already started to rejuvenate itself.

They came out and told us and we cheered and praised the Lord for His goodness.

So never, never, never give up.

You can be healed, if you do not listen to the devil's lies coming out of the mouths of naysayers, and unbelievers.

They do not know anything about who God is, or what God will do.

God heals and do not ever forget it.

Your doubts are keeping you from God's Truth.

1 Peter 2:24 says

Himself ( Jesus) bore our sins and sicknesses on His body on the tree of calvary and by His stripes we were healed and set free.

we have a covenant with the Lord and it is healing in that covenant.

If you did not know it before, then you need to perk up and know it now.

Because you can ask to be healed.

Because God said He is the God that heals us.

ASK FOR YOUR HEALING

Source(s): BIBLE

Okay just because I'm an insanely sick of all these atheists reciting the SAME EXACT phrases every time anyone asks a spiritual question, I'll give it a go and tell you my opinion.

Praying for someone doesn't necessarily means that person will be healed. You can pray all you want sometimes, but if God doesn't want to take the illness away he won't. I actually just went and listened to a man with no arms and legs talk about this issue, and I think he had a good point:

God puts us in certain circumstances in order for our purpose to be fulfilled in some way. In other words, some people are meant to be sick in order for their courage and love of God to shine through to others in the same circumstances. Hopefully, that person will seek God because of what they have seen in that ill person's life.

I think prayer for illness can help, however, to strengthen the ill person. It's like asking God for extra blessings over those people, although we may not always understand how God gives them.

And don't believe everything an atheist tells you. I've seen miracles happen regardless if they believe in them or not, and I know God works.

Just my two cents. I hope this gives you a new perspective.

• MPH

I think your question is very important. I can only tell you what I believe the Bible says about prayer and healing.

I think all prayer has more to do with aligning our will up to that of God's. It's by His will not ours.

We live in this physical world where very bad things happen to good people. Some people are healed from sickness and others simply die. We all know good people who've die in horrible ways. I believe we pray to line our will up to God's and to put our absolute trust in God, even in death of love ones. I don't think it's necessarily God's will for some to die early but He doesn't prevent it. He lets nature take its course. There's so much more than this earth has to offer for christians. We just can't always see it. That's why we pray. It gives us comfort in knowing God is fully in charge. We may not understand it all but we pray for His will to be done.

His WILL will be done anyway, so it's nice when we're comfortable with His rule and authority.

I believe the only healing God does today is healing sin-sickness.

We do have free will. He won't intervene unless we want or ask Him to.

My brother's mother-in-law was healed through prayer. She had horrible pains and went to the doctor. They said she had cancer and even with surgery, would have several months to live. We prayed, and all of a sudden, she had no more pain. She went back to the doctor several days later, and there was absolutely no trace of cancer left. She is still alive and doing very well 5 years later.

I don't know if it is something that can be proven. The fact is you either believe in God, The Creator, or you do not. If you do, with all your heart , soul, and mind, then anything is possible. Jesus said in The Bible that faith as small as a mustard seed (pretty small) was capable of moving mountains but an act as monumental as that, without love, is meaningless. If you love someone, pray for them, because with God, all things are possible.

Well if the medical treatment cures them THEY'LL say it was the praying and god that healed them But if they die then they'll say IT WAS GODS WILL . So you see christians will take advantage of anything to convince themselves and anyone GULLIBLE enough to believe B S there spinning

• LJM

We are given authority on earth over sin and sickness and evils of all kinds. This authority is given when we trust Christ. Prayer is speaking to the problem in the Name and by the Power of our Saviour. By praying; we are alligning ourselves with God's Will as we exercise the Power that is given to us through prayer. Our Father Who art in heaven; Hallowed be Thy Name; Thy Kingdom come THY WILL BE DONE ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN. Earth is given to satan to roam and seek whom he may devour. We are claiming back God's Authority over the earth and what satan tries to cause. We are agreeing WITH God what is His Will to be done. It is God's Will to heal. (By His stripes we are healed) It is satan's will to kill and destroy. We are exercising our authority along with God's over cancer or whatever the problem may be. Of course, you were mentioning healing so I answered according to that. But, we also pray to praise God and thank Him. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise. We pray because we love Him and He loves us and it comforts us and takes away lonliness and reassures us. We should pray because when we pray; God changes US in the process; especially when we pray for others. It is communication and keeping a close relationship. Sometimes it is confession and asking forgiveness (which He always does).

Source(s): Ephesians 2:8,9

The point of prayer is to give false hope to those who are so weak-minded they can't find a reason to live except for some fairy tale

Praying to god or to micky mouse, the outcome would be the same

• FROG E

God wants us all to be healed.....He will not interfere in our lives unless we invite Him to do so.