I have an 09 scion tC, still under warranty, and i want to turbo charge it. Has to be TRD, cost?

Has to be TRD so it doesn't mess my warranty up, also i have to have my car dealer install it. So question is where can i buy a good TRD turbo, and how much will it cost? also how much hp gain will i have? currently 160 hp.

p.s.- do i have to change exhaust or would i be fine with stock exhaust?

Favorite Answer

Kenny seems to be the closest, there is no TRD turbo only supercharger but the TRD supercharger has been discontinued and for the same cost as the TRD charger you can get a Dezod or Ptuning turbo kit that puts out double the TRD's power.. so if you go turbo no dealer is going to install it for you, but Ptuning and Dezods turbo kit runs just under $5K which isnt bad considering with an 8psi tune you can get 230-270whp (wheel horsepower which is true power) and a 10psi tune can get you 300-320whp with torque numbers being significantly close to hp numbers. the tC's motor is good to handle up to 500whp. there are many race tC's that have seen over 400whp on stock internals and Chris Rado's turbo tC ran 530+whp with just pistons and rods and all other internals being stock, so the tC will take abuse. its always good to get an exhaust if you go forced induction because the faster you force air in the engine the faster you have to expel those gases that are created, and Ptuning and Dezod have good cat-back exhaust systems. also an exhaust system alone added with a turbo can give you 20+whp, highest ive seen was an exhaust put out 30whp additional over the stock exhaust, with a turbo. and a turbo exhaust normally allows higher psi when tuned correctly. you can use a stock exhaust, but think of it this way: when you add a turbo and the air is being forced in quickly and your stock exhaust is restricting it, its like having a car without a turbo with half a potatoe in your muffler, its going to cause back pressure..

Source(s): 05 Scion tC owner http://www.dezod.com/ http://ptuning.com/

If they can prove that your mods caused some damage yes it will void the warranty for those parts and only those parts. TRD does make a supercharger for the auto trans now too. It just came out later. Example: - If you turbo the car and blow the engine or trans up its not covered. - If you turbo the car and your A/C breaks its still covered because its not caused by the modifications you made. I've got a 05 tC S/C with 72k miles on it. I went with the supercharger because turbos will need work at some point and I live in an apartment. I don't have the tools or place to tinker around with my car. I'm also now on my 3rd supercharger. The pulley side mounting bracket broke the 1st time. The compressor side mounting bracket broke the 2nd time and also destroyed the compressor bearings. They only sell the entire supercharger kit which means you get the whole thing replaced not just the broken part. I wouldn't recommend the supercharger but I would recommend the 100k mile warranty if you do. I did and my car has close to $9k in warranty work which has all been covered 100%. I'm also going to sell this POS car as soon as my A/C is working again (warranty again).

trd has not yet made a turbo, only superchargers(which only add 40hp)... if you want a turbo, get greddy. you'll have to void your warranty because trd is too expensive and it doesn't do much. the turbo will run you around 4500 +installation, and it will come with most of the things you need. and yes you have to change your exhaust(HKS hi-power) and try getting a cold-air intake(TRD/AEM)

You will see at least a 70-140 increase in horsepower as a result. you'll be up there with Subarus! good luck!

• lukky

you will need to change you exhaust some. You will need a new manifold at least. And the only place to get TRD turbos is the dealership. With the turbo and install you will probably be paying in the neighborhood of 7500.00 bux. They are not cheap. And your hp numbers will not be all that impressive. The dealership will not go all out with the install, they will keep it safe so nothing fails. Maybe from 160 hp to around 250...maybe not even that much.

• Kenny

There is no such thing as a TRD turbocharger... only a TRD supercharger. The set-up installed costs about $4500

Here is anything else you will need to know about the TRD kit...

http://www.scioncrazy.com/tC_TRD_Supercharger_faqs...

Source(s): Collision center manager

Rule of thumb on turbo you need a 2.5in + exhaust. 4-1 header, and a non shitty turbo setup, and proper tune. A turbo can run you as high as a few grand for a car like yours. Don't buy ebay crap and do your research. You can gain up to about 40-100 if done with a good exhaust, headers and your manifold is ported/polished. You need a proper and safe tune. If you DD it on a high PSI you might blow it.

You don't have 160 hp.

You have 160 minus drivetrain loss, and restrictions. Your actual output is around 130 or so.

As far as how much gain you will get, it depends on the exact turbo, tuning, supporting modifications, etc.

You could get zero horsepower. You could get 1,000. Depends on what you do to the car.

Think of it like asking "If I work out all summer, how much could I bench press?" Who knows? Too many variables.

As far as cost....to do it properly, you're looking at around $10,000.

scions suck!!