Tila asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

I'm 16, can I get a doctors appointment without my parent?

I might be pregnant,but i want to make 100% sure before I tell my mom,is there any way i can go to the doctor without my mom knowing?

Favorite Answer

PP will test you for free and confidentially. Check out the sexect link I posted to find out the laws in your state concerning sex and minors.

If you are pregnant please consider an abortion because you are so young . . . .

If you go to a Planned Parenthood clinic that has a low-income program it can be as cheap as 100$. If you tells them you have no job, no money and no support they will likely have you pay the minimum for the procedure and get donations to cover the rest. 1-800-230-PLAN (1-800-230-7526) to find the Planned Parenthood clinic nearest you.

You have the choice between the pill (which can be taken up to 11weeks, at home or at a friends house) or the vacuum method (in clinic procedure). Personally I used the pill method so I could be at home with my husband but some women want to have the surgical, so it's done and over with when they leave the clinic.

You will be financially screened - usually this goes on the honor system, weight/height taken, blood pressure checked, pricked -fingertip- to check for rH factor and anemia, you will receive an ultrasound or sonogram to determine gestational age. You may be asked if you want to view the image, this is up to you. You will receive antibiotics, anti-nausea tabs and pain meds. Take them ALL. You must finish at the very least your course of antibiotics. Follow all aftercare instructions and go back to your after care appt. This last step is vital, you must go back for your aftercare appt! Abortion begins a new menstrual cycle. You should have a regular period in 4 to 8 weeks.you should have the option of receiving birth control - again this will most likely be free, take it and use it correctly.

**If you are underage you may want to check this site out to see about parental consent laws and whatnot. http://www.sexetc.org/state *Even if it says you need parental consent, you don't. Call PP and tell them you cannot tell your parents; by law, a judicial bypass must be available to those minors who just cannot get their parents/guardians permission. A judge signs the parental consent acting as a de facto guardian.**

Some state medicaid program do pay for it, use this link and figure out if your state covers it. If they do, you can go to "welfare" office and get emergency coverage and the state and taxes will help pay for it. http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/book/companion.a...

I respect that it is your choice and understand that you are probably doing what's best for you. If you have any more questions or want/need to talk about it drop me an email.

It is entirely possible to have an abortion and not feel guilt because you knew it was the right thing to do.

ImNotSorry.net

~Pro-Choice Momma; Have had an abortion <no regrets> and I have a 9 month old daughter <no regrets>. I believe in protecting my daughter's choice.

Abortion: There is a Consensus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSQiazUvgo

Youtube thumbnail

Yes. You can call your doctor, by 16 you should have been checked by a GYN, and make an appointment. Doctors have to respect your privacy. Even if your insurance is billed, by the time everything goes through you would have known if you were pregnant or not. However you might want to just wander into the dollar store and pick up a pregnancy test for a dollar.

• lola

I'd suggest going to a Planned Parenthood in your area - they will see you for free, and guarantee your privacy. They can also counsel you on the options available to you should you find out you're pregnant. They'll also provide you with low or no-cost contraception, if you aren't.

If that's not a possibility, ask your parents to make a doctor's appointment. I'd probably tell my mom I thought I had a yeast infection, and wanted to get looked at - that gives you a reason to go in to the doctor, while ensuring your mom probably won't want to be in the room while you're being examined.

If you're not pregnant, consider getting on the pill, and always use protection in the future. 16 is awfully young to be dealing with an unwanted pregnancy.

Yes. If you already have a doctor then make an appointment with him or her. Your parents would have signed a consent form before your first appointment. Just ask your doctor about paying the bill yourself. It could be pricey. But they can see you without your parents, but I've gone in before by myself when I've been sick.

Alternatively, you could go to Planned Parenthood. I've never been to one, so I don't know if they're free or how they work, but I have friends who've gone and I know they didn't need more consent. In most states there's a special loophole that allows underage girls to get treatment for anything sex related - pregnancy, STDS and the like - without parental consnet.

• Arwen

Planned Parenthood or similar clinics will examine under-age young women without parental permission, and will often do it for free or low cost.

PP can also help after the test. If you are not pregnant they can provide birth control counseling. If you are pregnant, they will help with a reference to an OB/Gyn for pre-natal care or abortion services/reference to abortion services, whatever it is you want.

Once you know whether or not you are pregnant, if you are you have some hard decisions to make. I know some parents cannot be told, they either kick out their child, or abuse them for getting pregnant, or worse, but most parents are very reasonable and will support your decisions, whatever you choose. Only you know what kind of parents you have. Good luck.

• Lisa

You can make your own appointment because I did it before but you need to take a guardian in order to do the paper work like you Older brother, Sister, Aunt.. Etc etc but they have to be 18 or older.

go to a free clinic or a clinic of some kind. since ur under 18, they might need some kind of consent. but u should get a pregnancy test b4 u go to the doct

Yes! THey dont need any permission from your mom!!! Eaither get like a 20 pre. test form a convient store and TAKE IT AT SCHOOL!!!!!! or go to a free walk in clinic(i think thats what teir called)

• No need to go to the doctor. Buy the pregnancy tests at wal mart.

• go to a planned parenthood or a free clinic in your area. but as a note if the pregnancy test came back positive you ARE pregnant. No one gets false positives unless they are on hormones.