Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dog Section? Is it wrong to post this?

By: Tammy Swift, INFORUM

Good dogs can be created by nature. Good dogs can be created by nurture. And sometimes, well, good dogs just happen.

We first acquired Jake as a fat white puppy 7½ years ago. We picked him amid the best of circumstances: We talked at length about the responsibility beforehand, acquired an insulated dog house and kennel first, and took our time looking for just the right pooch.

We even bought “Dog Ownership for Dummies,” paying special attention to the sections on how to test a puppy’s temperament before taking him home. We learned it was better to get a “middle-of-the-pack” dog than an alpha dog or super-submissive littermate.

And when we arrived at the bucolic-looking farm where he was born, everything about Jake seemed ideal. He was a sturdy golden-Lab cross, reared by a conscientious, sweet-tempered mom. He had been raised amid lots of doting kids and four-legged siblings. He stayed with his mother until he was precisely 9½ weeks, laying the foundation for excellent socialization skills.

We took him to the vet, who raved about his superb temperament and health. We did everything right.

Our second dog, however, was acquired under much-less-favorable circumstances.

I got her at a pet store, despite everything I’d read that warned me about this. The purchase was based purely on emotion: I loved Kita’s intelligent eyes, bear-cub-build and sassy, little gait. Worst of all, I didn’t even OK it with Irwin.

I knew little about her background, beyond the fact she was a product of a black Pomeranian and a red toy poodle.

Everything in Kita’s sketchy puphood suggested trouble. She should be hanging out at street corners, smoking cigarettes and hanging out with other dog-linquents.

She should have suffered from a slew of health problems and behavioral issues. She should have starred on “The Dog Whisperer,” as a bad canine citizen who attacked house guests, had her way with couch cushions and developed allergies to everything from dust to oxygen.

Yet, oddly enough, Kita grew up to be a picture of canine health. She is robust, confident and well-adjusted. She seems completely oblivious to the fact she weighs 8 pounds; instead, she carries herself like some sort of Rottweiler/bull mastiff hybrid.

She has no allergies and few health problems. She fears nothing. And, despite a bumpy first few months of house-breaking, she has been childishly easy to train.

The golden-Lab, however, is another story. He weighs 90 pounds, stands about 26 inches high and looks as rugged as any hunting dog. Yet he has suffered a litany of health complaints. We have spent at least $750 on ear infections alone. He is allergic to everything from gluten to corn. And he has more problems with his backend than the Ford Pinto.

He fears many things: men with beards, small blond girls, bicycles, vacuum cleaners, hot food, ice cubes and the family cat. He has made numerous frantic visits to the emergency vet after developing everything from an eye infection to an ulcer under his tail.

He is an incredibly sweet dog. I can’t imagine life without him. At the same time, he is extremely high-maintenance – a complex bundle of neuroses, hang-ups and health problems.

Of course, I still think it’s wise to take the “Jake route” when shopping for a pup and to think carefully before acquiring any new pet. I’m well aware that I totally lucked out with Kita. She could have just as easily been a nasty fear-biter with luxating patellas and parasites.

At the same time, I’ve learned a valuable lesson.

You can never judge a dog by its mother.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Tammy Swift at tswift@forumcomm.com

Ok, so is this against YA regulations to post this? She writes an article for our newspaper..the Fargo Forum. If this is ok to post, can people email her about this and explain about puppy mills and bybs? Hopefully with all the info she'll get from everyone, in the next week or two she'll post a correction. Please be nice in emailing her, because I really think she has no idea about Pet Store puppies and where they come from and BYBs.

Please star. Do this for the poor dogs in puppy mills who are about to suffer more due to her followers buying pet store puppies. If they see a correction in the next couple weeks, they may decide against it.

This isn't so much a rant as hoping people can come together and give this lady valuable information. I'm not sure if posting this article is wrong or not. If it is, I'll remove it myself and email it to everyone on here that I know will give her that info.

Don't report it. Just tell me if it's wrong, and I'll remove it.

Fourth poster....I didn't write this. This was an article in our newspaper. My question is if this is wrong to post, and if people can email her. It's not rocket science.

People who can't be bothered to read the entire thing and figure out that I didn't write this, that it was an article in our newspaper shouldn't bother answering.

Ok, since people can't seem to figure out the question in this..IS IT WRONG TO POST THIS AND CAN PEOPLE EMAIL THE REPORTER WITH INFORMATION REGARDING PUPPY MILLS?

Is the question clear enough now?

I'm HOPING people will email her with this info and maybe she'll read it and do some research.

Then the general public here in town may do research as well.

No reputable breeder ever gives or sells their pets to pet stores. They NEVER sell to total strangers. All pet store puppies come from either Back Yard Breeders or Puppy Mills, both are equally bad.

Thanks everyone.

Sybil, that's a thought. But one person on here said that some pet store puppies come from "reputable" breeders. I don't want this reporter to see that and think that.

Favorite Answer

but you *can* judge a dog by its mother.....

Well duh her BYB bred "labradoodle" was unhealthy! She just got very lucky. Maybe God wanted her to have at least one healthy dog out of two BYB bred ones. I really hope nobody takes her advice.

ADD: lol, I see

I'll E-mail her a few links. :)

ADD2: im dissapointed, I got 25 emails from facebook and not a single one from this columnist. =/

But if she does do a follow-up will you E-mail it to me or post it as a question?

I do not see anything wrong with posting this article. In the short time I have been here I posted a few articles. None have been deleted. Along with an article a reporter often puts her e-mail address so people can contact her. That's what it is for. The fact that you merely posted will give her more correspondence. I am assuming that is what she wants. I see nothing wrong with this question.

I think you have actually helped in raising awareness about puppy mills with your question. I hope that the people who answer this do in fact contact her. There are so many puppies and dog's in need out there. They deserve homes. However, we should in no way support puppy mills for the sake of a pet store. Puppy mills are wrong and in most states against the law. Something needs to be done.

Thank you for posting this. I will certainly make sure to contact her.

• Sybil

Why don't you compile the answers and email them to her? I do have a few comments to make on her story.

First off the Goldenlab had a perfect temperament when she got him. That means she allowed him to develop all of these phobias he obviously wasn't properly socialized. She probably even encouraged them by coddling him when he showed fear instead of letting him work through it. There are many ways to train a dog to get though their fear of things. She never mentions seeing health certifications on the sire and dam. Just because a dog looks good doesn't mean it won't carry genes that make it's offspring prone to serious genetic defects.

She got lucky with the second dog. Why would she go to a pet store and pay for a mutt?

I think it is helpful to post this. We hear all the time about pet store pets coming from puppy mills. But not all pet store pets come from puppy mills. Some do come from reputable breeders. As for the puppy bought at a farm with all the health problems there is no guarantee that these pups were not interbred with mother/son-father/daughter interbreeding which leads to health problems because of the recessive genes in one becoming dominant in another. Also all dogs can fall victim to environmental causes just like humans.

I don't get what you're trying to say. You write this ever long novel about your life?

I, of course did not take 10 minutes to read it so I skimmed through it and read that you're talking about YOUR dogs, and something that happened. Personally, it seemed like your just talking about you and your dogs and memories from what I read.

You didn't end with a question so I have no idea what you're asking.

Are you ranting or protesting?

Either way, you shouldn't have posted this as it is not a question.

How is it helpful to post this. Your not supposed to post a prostest or whatever in the form of a question.

this isnt even a question

Idiot.

Ah, who cares wat YA thinks! Post wat u will and YA will do what they will about it. :)

GOOD LUCK