how does a computer mouse work?

how does the data flow from the mouse to the screen to make it move?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

When a mouse slides across a surface, the mouse interprets that motion into X and Y axes and conveys the information to the computer. With older mice or trackballs this information is generated using a pair of rollers inside the mouse. The ball rolls against them, with the two rollers interpreting the movement of the mouse into data. With an optical mouse, the process is less mechanical, as a tiny sensor is able to interpret the motion of the surface beneath the mouse. (For this reason, optical mice are less effective on smooth featureless surfaces, like plain white paper. The mouse cannot interpret any movement because the surface looks the same.)

The computer receives information from the mouse that basically tells it things like "X axis increased by 5, Y axis decreased by 7". The computer interprets that information as instructions on how and where to move the mouse pointer on your screen. When you click your button, the computer responds by activating whatever control the mouse pointer is currently positioned over. The mouse itself has no idea what's going on with your screen--it just conveys the X and Y movement (and mouse button) to the computer. Your computer interprets what to do.

• 1 decade ago

there is a sensor in the bottom of the mouse and data travels through wires through the wires into the computer and then the computer proceses the data and moves the mouse on the screen by how much you moved it on the mat ,all this is done in a split second.

• 1 decade ago

an optical mouse capture pictures about the movement. 100 pictures per second. and that moves the mouse. i know, the question is another thing, but i tell you this secret because it's interesting

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the electricity goes through the wire to the computer and I think it has some kind of signal. I'm not really sire, but I doubt anyone here would know.

• 1 decade ago

wow well you move around the ball and i think it sends signals to the computers i'm not sure but that could be how some have a lazer red light or something

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.