If a new country the size of North America/Australia was found, what would happen?

And it was rich in natural resources such as oil, lots of fertile land, and all that stuff, would there be mass immigration there?

Do you think history would repeat itself? Especially if there were indigneous peoples there that didn't believe in things such as nations and flags. Would you immigrate there?

Do you think any country, such as the USA, would declare it as territory.

Favorite Answer

1.a. If a new country the size of North America/Australia was found, what would happen?

We'd be trying to figure out where the heck it came from and why we hadn't seen it before.;-)

1.b. And it was rich in natural resources such as oil, lots of fertile land, and all that stuff, would there be mass immigration there?

Maybe. There might be some immigration to this place IF there opportunity to improve ones quality of life. IF there was political and economic stability and security, then there might be investment in the country provided private companies that would invest, IF these companies were also not afraid that their efforts would be subject to nationalization (being taken over by the local government). Then people seeking opportunity might go to this country as it expanded and developed. I'd suspect there'd be more mass migration from countries that were either poorer or where there is present economic hardships. That's the trend in migration patterns, people looking for something better than what they had in their homeland.

2.a. Do you think history would repeat itself?

Not really. At least not with the same actors who in the 1400s to 1900s were accused of colonialism and imperialism. I think it would be some other resource hungry up-and-coming developing nation.

Consider this - what for argument sake a big consumer, natural resource dependent country due to its technology was able to relieve itself of its dependency on other lesser developed but resource rich countries? What would the economic incentive be then for the same level of trade for the developed country without the need for those natural resources with that lesser developed country? That lesser developed albeit resource rich country would have to offer something else, which it likely doesn't have, to draw trade and investment. Could be cheaper labor, cheaper textiles, etc., but in the end, lack of incentive to trade with this new nation impact its economic development. Is that good or bad? Depends on how much that new nation wants to develop and who it wants to work with to get there. Is that nation principled or mercenary in approach to who it gets help from? Will it take anything from anyone? This is an important question also.

2.b. Especially if there were indigneous peoples there that didn't believe in things such as nations and flags.

I think in this day and age it would be hard to find people, who, though they may not have a flag, still have some sense of nation.

The concept of nation is a complex one, and at its heart deals with the issue of identity and people with a common bond, even if there is no formal political state. A nation can be defined as a body of people who share a real or imagined common history, culture, language or ethnic origin or who inhabit a particular country or territory. Just ask some one in the USA what their nationality is and you'll sometime different answers because the concept of nationality and ethnicity or culture gets confused.

2.c. Would I immigrate there?

No, I'm very happy where I live.

3. Do you think any country, such as the USA, would declare it as territory?

No. I think every country that has an interest in trade and resources would court this country and try to earn favor and economic access, but "whether any country, country such as the USA, would declare it a territory," a process called annexation, I think remains doubtful. Nations particular large ones like the USA have enough problems trying to manage themselves, let alone places abroad.

I think countries like the USA, PRC, India, Japan, Russia, and the countries that comprise the EU, etc, all have a desire and "interests" in seeing an open door to other countries around the world, mainly for the purposes of trade, and exchange, but the task of taking on a nation of the size your suggest would be a daunting one.

Very interesting question.

Cheers!

Source(s): "Nation", The New Oxford American Dictionary, Second Edn., Erin McKean (editor), 2051 pages, May 2005, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-517077-6.

i doubt the world would sit back and allow the slaughtering of millions of natives, simply because the natural resources represented a bonanza.

the nation who discovered it may or may not be allowed to claim it as its own, that would depend largely on the local population

• lakia

I luv how that man even feedback like Antoine! hah conventional! this can be a very well query, I continuously puzzled this myself, equal with their garments - do their sizes more commonly run smaller b/c they're smaller as contributors or are their sizes the equal as American sizes??