Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why are flight prices so expensive in the UK?

I always see flights advertised on TV to like Spain for £10 or somethin'. But when i want a flight just a few miles from Liverpool to Gatwick it's going to cost me over £100. Why the heck is it cheaper to fly further away ?

p.s. anyone how i could get from Liverpool to gatwick for cheap ??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Its pretty pointless flying short distances in the U.K. because once you've added check in time, security and travel time to and from the airports, its slower than the train. Demand for flights from Liverpool to Gatwick is therefore low. Hence the high prices. Advance purchase rail fares will be far cheaper booking as far ahead as possible. Even the £10 air fares to Spain are a 'loss leader'. You'll probably find them only available on flights at very inconvenient times or that the quota is so low, you can never actually get them. By the time you've paid taxes and security charges plus charges to check in 2 pieces of luggage for example, you might well be paying nearer £200 return.

If you're going to the centre of London for example simply catch a Virgin Train from Liverpool Lime Street to London Euston booking as far ahead as possible www.virgintrains.co.uk

and get yourself an annual railcard for a further 34% discount whether you book ahead or not. www.railcard.co.uk

If you're ytavelling on to Gatwick from London catch the Victoria Line of the Underground from Euston to Victoria than a Southern Train (cheaper than the Gatwick Express). Euston to Gatwick will take about one hour

• 1 decade ago

I think the cheapest would be by Megabus. Book in advance from Liverpool to London for around £10, then a cheap tube to Gatwick.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because there arent any direct flights from Liverpool to london - you are probably looking at flights connecting in dublin or Amsterdam !

The train to london is now much better - just over 2 hours which when you consider the time waiting at airports and the time taken to get into the centre of london from the airport - is actually quite good.

There are flights from Manchester airport - but again it's going to take you an hour to get there

www.skyscanner.net - for cheap flight options with all airlines

www.virgintrains.co.uk

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i dont know... i think you can still find some pretty cheap deals. there are quite a few sites that you can search that will likely give you the best prices available. check out the website BookMe and you will be able to compare prices on all the reputable travel sites in just a couple minutes. it's very convenient and will save you a bunch of time and money. Also, make sure you buy them online... otherwise they charge much higher fees for phone orders. good luck.

Source(s): www.BookMe.com
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Try flying from Stansted instead. Gatwick isn't where cheap flights are.

You can go up to Stansted with 15 quid and if they don't stamp it you can use it to come back as it isn't directional, last I knew.

• Nick T
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The offers you see are usually when you book and pay 6 months in advance and will be at specific very early times.

The cheapest way will probably be via coach.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.