What are the pros and cons of Guardianship vs Power of Attorney?

We are in the process of applying for legal guardianship for my son who will be 18 in February. We've been told that we may be better off just getting a full POA. He has Autism, Apraxia, OCD, Epilepsy, SI, CP and smaller goodies associated with these. He should be able to hold some type of minor job, but... show more We are in the process of applying for legal guardianship for my son who will be 18 in February. We've been told that we may be better off just getting a full POA. He has Autism, Apraxia, OCD, Epilepsy, SI, CP and smaller goodies associated with these. He should be able to hold some type of minor job, but will never be able to live outside of a medically supervised setting.

We are very confused. If we have guardianship, will he still be eligible for SSI, medicare and other state/federal aids? If we have POA, will we be able to keep him on our family health insurance through my spouses employer? The ins now carries him as a dependent though 18 and as a student through 25 (he'll be leaving HS at 22).

I know there is way more involved in all of this, which is why we are asking advice from folks who've already been there. We have an appt with a lawyer, but she's only talking guardianship. Our son's autism therapist feels we may be better off with POA, which the lawyer never mentioned and we didn't even know existed. We would really like to know the pros and cons before our appt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Update: Thanks for the answers and well wishes received so far. If it helps any, he is not able to make appropriate decisions regarding his own medical care and barely understands how to make change for a dollar. To best ensure he's properly taken care of, we must have control of decisions since he does not. We are... show more Thanks for the answers and well wishes received so far. If it helps any, he is not able to make appropriate decisions regarding his own medical care and barely understands how to make change for a dollar. To best ensure he's properly taken care of, we must have control of decisions since he does not. We are trying to decide which way would be the most advantageous to him and his future needs. Thanks again.
6 answers 6