Order of the Arrow native american regalia?

HI my name is tyler I am with the Order of The Arrow cha-pa di capter of Amangi Nacha lodge 47 in the golden empire council california. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the Sioux tribe colors are and the best places to buy new or slightly used regalia. for Order of the Arrow cerimonies. By the way I am brotherhood.

i know this probaly is not the right catergrory

truly the order of the arrow had permision from some of the cheifs in 1915 of the delaware indian tribes.

• Favorite Answer

native people have been telling the boy scouts that it is insulting that they make you "mock" our regalia and ceremonies. this is not directed at you since you are just a kid doing what you are told, but the adults involved are teaching bigotry and ignoring native people all across the continent who have asked that they stop mocking us. it is not an honor, it is insulting.

think of this. if your troop asked you to dress up like african tribesmen and you did some mock african ceremony, painting your faces black even, would that be ok?

how about if you have a mock jewish ceremony and you all dressed like rabbis and carried menorahs.

how about a mock catholic ceremony where you dressed like popes.

i don't see anyone else being mocked like that so why us?

feel free to pass this on to your scout master.

ETA: in 1915 native people were not even citizens of the usa. and it was only 25 years after the masacre at wounded knee. native people were all but gone except for a few hundred thousand survivors.

it was common practice for someone to find an indian and ask them something then say that all indians say it. or simply make it all up. its how sports teams can now say they had "permission" to mock us for their entertainment.

who are these delaware chiefs? are they real? i'm doubting it.

regardless even the delaware today say what scouts are doing is wrong. that SHOULD be the end of the discussion but as we all know, some people will do whatever they want no matter who it hurts as long as it feels ok to them.

Source(s): mohawk citizen

Native American Regalia Patterns

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

HI my name is tyler I am with the Order of The Arrow cha-pa di capter of Amangi Nacha lodge 47 in the golden empire council california. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the Sioux tribe colors are and the best places to buy new or slightly used regalia. for Order of the Arrow cerimonies....

Source(s): order arrow native american regalia: https://biturl.im/qTDMX

Just curious, does your cousin live in South Dakota? Any where near Rapid City? RC is one of the most racist against N/A towns I've ever been through. I'm with the other poster who said the parents should be going down reaming the principal. There is no way this is a "suspendable" offense. Although if the parents are N/A in a racist area odds are they won't have much luck. Give your cousin a high five from everyone who believes that history should be re-examined from other perspectives.

Facts are fun:

"The Boy Scouts of America was the first institution in the United States to recognize a day that honored Native Americans. Dr. Arthur C. Parker, a Seneca Tribe member, was the director of the Museum of Arts and Science in Rochester, NY. From the turn of the century onward he campaigned for special recognition of the indigenous people’s many contributions to North American civilization. He finally convinced leaders of the recently formed, Boy Scouts of America, to set aside a day for honoring the 'First Americans' in 1915."

http://www.examiner.com/article/native-american-he...

I am sure you have been told many reasons by your troop why this is OK, but believe me. Us Native people find this very very disrespectful. You can ask here. You can go to powwows.com and many other Native sites and get the same answer.

Us Native people find it disrespectful for non-Natives to wear OUR regalia, play Indian, and pretend at our customs. I do not blame you for this, you are a child being mis-lead by adults. However you are old enough to listen and do what is right. Please Listen. The Order of The Arrow is considered one of the most offensive organizations in the USA in the eyes of our people. Please quiit. Please do not do what they say. Please tell your leaders what we say. Our people have told the boy scouts over and over for decades this very thing that we are telling you now and they do not listen. They do not even tell you we feel this way.

Please listen to and follow our words. Otherwise you will come across us with much more un-pleasant words when you are older.

Source(s): Lakota, powwow dancer and regalia maker.

answer: I understand the Boy Scouts looking for rituals and cultures to answer a need for tribal-like ceremonies. Unfortunately they look to Native American rituals without permission and without any in-depth understanding of those ceremonies. The Boy Scouts also refuse to let scout troops in other nations explore their native cultures - Boy Scouts in Northern Europe were forbidden to construct a Viking ship and explore their history as being "anti-Christian" - personally, perverting Native American culture and pretending to be Indians and understanding Indians is insulting to Native Americans and is "anti-Christian".

Not scolding you, young one. Humankind craves ceremony and tribal connections. The Boy Scouts should explore culture that is common to most Americans and not try to hijack Native American ones.

I think that Kanien has given you the best answer, I love Ruth’s response, too.

I am still going to give my two cents worth from yet another perspective.

I am the mother of a FORMER Boy Scout. The issue of hijacking Native American Indian ways was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. While there were a few other related issues, but the reason he is a former Boy Scout is primarily over the hypocrisy in the manner of teaching the boys the ethics that Scouting presents, and the manner of their sense of entitlement to take ritual items, symbols, names and stories and misappropriate them for whatever purpose suited them. This is a pervasive attitude in Scouting. I was told by more than one in a leadership position that it was not disrespectful , yet they dismissed the reason I explained that it was without even addressing it. Because it’s always been done and excuse that “Scouting builds character” and then telling me how many great men began as Scouts does not address the problem at all, that is merely a display of the kind of attitude such a sense of entitlement to hijack others ways TEACHES.

Kanien gave such excellent examples. While she and I have been long time contacts, I still find it amazing that she used in her answer some of the exact examples I gave to the Scout Leaders here locally as to the reason my son would not proceed further in Scouting. We had not discussed this.

When my son joined Cub Scouts, I tried to rationalize to myself that they did not see themselves as disrespecting the Native Americans, but sought to learn from their ways of living in harmony with the land. Everything they said about Native Americans was “postitive”. Often way off base and to the point of parody but still not done with obvious INTENT to disrespect. The early scouting experiences in Cub Scouts and Webelos primarily appeared to focus on things that didn’t use Native American symbolism quite so much and he enjoyed the camping and other activities. However, the further along it went, I found myself needing to give a lesson after every meeting or gathering of how they had misappropriated or disrespected a particular people with one of the skits and it soon reached a point I could no longer agree at all with their justifications. My conscience told me I had been behaving rather hypocritically with my son and I felt very bad. Scouting quickly became something that I was having to give a lesson that is what you are NOT to do, rather than what TO do.

I did not have my son in Scouting to have him there surrounded by examples of what NOT to do to other peoples. I am very proud to say that he understood completely and agreed. The lessons my son took from Scouting are not those that I think the Boy Scouts of America intended.

Those adult leaders I addressed , deeply involved in Scouting appeared oblivious and incapable of understanding that even though they may be sincere in FEELING that they are trying to connect to Native Americans and honor them with such things, what they do in actual practice is to actually aide in cultural genocide..to DESTROY the authenticity, to fracture and delegitimize real meanings and histories of the peoples whose customs and religions are hijacked in such a manner.

As humans who wish to know brotherhood and respect for one another we also hope to learn from one another. We can learn from many different First Nations Peoples..but let us learn what they want to TEACH us.

ASK rather than take. Mixing the customs and religions of the different nations who still survive is not respecting them. Their ways belong to them.

Use that guide for any people, not just the different nations of the Americas.

I know that Scouting has many benefits for young men, but I could not rationalize any longer that possible benefits would outweigh the very real likelihood of my son losing his ability to see that he does NOT have the right/entitlement to take from anyone, that which is not his, and use it for whatever purpose he wants.

I am Jewish and my son was the only Jewish boy in the entire area in Scouting, and I often felt awkward being the only parent complaining about such issues. This particular area was also disrespectful to any people who were not Christian. My son even had to be in a Scout Group that was not involved with the boys at his own school for that reason! That alone should have been a big red flag to me.

There are Scouting groups that are primarily Jewish in a few communities (no where near where I live) and it amazes me that being a people who have others continually DO this to US…they also do not recognize that they are supporting a group that does that to others.

Perhaps YOU can help start some change. Please print and show these responses to your leaders and Council and let them be food for thought. This may not change a thing, but at least they can never say they were unaware again.

The Boy Scouts of America purports to build character, and train youth in the responsibilities of participating as productive citizens. Part of learning how to be a productive citizen is to recognize right from wrong and to stand up for what you believe to be right. Perhaps it is time that more young people in Scouting practice being good world citizens to speak up for positive change that will sincerely embrace respect for others. Respect your parents, leaders and other adults in your Scouting group when you discuss this hard issue with them.

As it stands, I do not believe the BSA lives up to it’s own creed and ethics.