Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Who else thinks the concept of an emotional and often angry God is frightening?

Why do Christians not feel uncomfortable that "their God" exhibits so much anger, rage, jealousy, vindictiveness, narcissism and mediocrity?

(mediocrity in that he failed time and time again to create perfection in humans, in Satan etc etc)

Favorite Answer

The total lack of faith that these people demonstrate is astonishing.

Love and blessings Don

That confusion is one reason non-Christians believe that the Bible constantly contradicts itself. Look at it in the context of human evolution. The Old Testament records God as those things because that is what humanity needed at the time. Humans were even primitive in their emotional development, so they needed a god that sent a loud message.

I think what fundamentally religious types don't understand is that the arrival, life, teachings, and death of Jesus Christ were a sign of humanity's evolution and the need for a different god (or God). One that was more interpersonal.

Today, most Post-Protestant churches view God as "just" rather than "vengeful". In answer to your comment on "mediocrity", I would say that the current awareness of the interpersonal nature of God helps people understand that it wasn't perfection He was after, but a creation that he could interact with and that would appreciate Him as Creator (ie, worship).

Source(s): Attending Mars Hill Church in Seattle.
  • jessel

a million. Methodist 2. I examine my bible every day. I even thought god healed the hollow I supposedly had in my heart. seems i replaced into misdiagnosed. Then I went to varsity and took each and every faith direction provided...... 3. i'm a real skeptic. I question each and every thing, and that i refuse to maintain on with something blindly. What maximum don't comprehend is that faith isn't the only doctrine human beings shop on with without thinking approximately. 4. Ecstatic!!

I think it's more frightening to believe he's murderer because he "works in mysterious ways".

It's like "Oh, I can kill this child so people will know about this disease that will kill lots of people, but I won't give them the cure."

Freaky stuff.

If they want a good bullshit story why didn't they blame satan for everything wrong, and say it's he who did all the bad to the world and it's he who let's us die?

Because then we wouldn't fear God would we? And we wouldn't pay them money.

They cherry pick the bible.

Read Judges, Ch 11.

A guy makes a deal with this god that if he wins a war against his enemies, he'll sacrifice the first thing that walks thru his door.

He wins

The first thing thru his door was his daughter.

Yup, she got cooked.

Hey, a deal is a deal.

But interestingly, god let Abraham off the hook when it came to sacrificing his SON. See, boy children are more valuable that girl children.

Gotta love this god, eh?

Source(s): Bible.

The Christians concept of god seems to represent their own primitive animalistic urges and world outlook.

Well I don't believe in god, but I was scared of lunatic preachers when I was young, even at the age of ten the thought of worshiping a demented god head made me sick.

• We dont feel uncomfortable because we know that he is so powerful. But we know that he knows what hes doing and were all safe if we believe in him. When he comes back, we will all be safe in his kingdom. But God has so much power that he is going to destroy the earth to pieces and all the people on it during the Rapture. We all fear the Lord because he is so powerful

• Kinda like Begbie from Trainspotting. That guy scared the sh*t outta me!

My God is the God of Jesus who is gentle and forgiving like a modern western ( non middle eastern) father and who does not impose harsh penalties on me because this is how he made me, but who is very very angry at priests and organised religions who twist his words to appear they are aimed at me, the sinner, as you have come to accept. Those harsh words and threats of eternal damnation are for your church leaders who are "con artists" and use this image of God to bully out a lavish lifestyle for themselves- what class of people murdered Jesus agin in the gospels? remind me:)