i need a good science fair project, and im in the 9th grade?

so what would be a good project that i might get to regional with. or even what award winning project you did in high school i could remake. i'm open to pretty much any type of project.

Update:

a volcano? really? no! lol my school owns science fair and they would laugh there faces off at a volcano. i need something complicated. like one of my friends is a 3 time state winner and he is doing the effects of UV rays on soy beans.

Update 2:

i think i know what you mean by the trash thing and thanks thats actually a pretty good idea.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Here is the project… This will blow peoples minds.

Show how much money you save by switching to CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Lights).

Get a cardboard box, about one and a half feet cube, and put inside it a light fixture and a series of really big resistors. These resistors must be capable of about 100W dissipation. Get a precision thermometer – ideally one that can measure the inside of the box but be read on the outside of the box.

Choose and install an incandescent light bulb of a wattage so that after about 2 to 3 hours (or more) the temperature inside the box is about 100 degrees F. Once the temperature has stabilized hook up enough resistors and power them up so that the temperature goes up to about 120F. Calculate the total power used – light bulb and resistor power.

Now replace the incandescent light bulb with a CFL that puts out the same lumens (it should be about 1/3 the wattage). Now increase the resistor power (either increase the number of parallel resistors or increase the voltage across the resistors) so that the temperature again stabilizes after about 2 to 3 hours (or more) at 120 degrees F. Again calculate the total power used – light bulb and resistor power. How has it changed? Did you save any money by switching to CFLs?

The box at 120F is like a house in the winter where you have to heat the house to keep warm. The results of this experiment should be surprising in that it will show that there will probably be no savings at all form using CFLs. Worse – it can be shown that if the energy to heat the house comes from natural gas and the electricity comes from hydroelectricity (or nuclear) the CFLs will actually hurt the environment by shifting energy usage to fossil fuels….

• 3 years ago

Ok, this is an inspiration. (Note: that is the equal as I published on an additional query, however I suppose it applies right here.) one million) Acquire chocolate laxative. two) Bake 4 batches of truffles: 2 with laxatives, 2 with best truly chocolate. three) Find a bizarre man or woman from an additional elegance who will cooperate with you. (Or, if you're the bizarre child in college, uncover a traditional man or woman) four) Both of you reward a batch of each and every form of truffles for your respective categories. five) Both of you list the quantity of humans who suggestion the truffles tasted humorous for each and every of the 4 batches. 6) Compare the outcome among batches of the equal elegance, batches of the equal form in distinct categories, and (Normal Brownies/Laxative Brownies) for sophistication A to (Normal Brownies/Laxative Brownies) for sophistication B. This scan assessments how your fellow scholars understand kindness from a perceived traditional man or woman as in comparison to that from any individual they view as bizarre. My speculation is that extra scholars will detect that some thing is off with the "bizarre" scholar's laxative truffles than the "traditional" scholar's. Of direction, the truly query lies within the proportions. You're quite watching to look whether or not or now not the quantity of falsely-said "bizarre tasting" truffles (i.e. truffles which might be appeared to style bizarre however are traditional) rises even as because the identified "bizarre tasting" laxative truffles. If best the specific laxative truffles which might be spotted raises, the scholars are easily extra cautious of kindness from the bizarre scholar. However, if the quantity of falsely-said "bizarre tasting" truffles raises as good, the scholars are actively suspicious of the bizarre child. Of direction, there are particular outcome which I have now not blanketed. You're to your possess for deciphering the ones. :)

• 1 decade ago

you should make a volcano!!! There easy, and fun. and you don't need much to make them either. or maybe you can make a model of the globe! I think I tried to do that once, it turned out pretty nice

:)

• 1 decade ago

You should study the efficiency of wind vs. solar power. solar cell kits are easy to find, and so are pinwheels.

Make each power source power a light bulb. or something.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i like the idea to make your own little trash composer thing. were you put trash in the container . im soryy i really dont know how to explain it.. but its where you make better sooil.. maybe someone will know what im talking about....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

your own rocket?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.