I filed for my amended FHA tax return on 7/9, why do I still not have my refund and it's now 9/25?!?!?

I was quoted 6-8 weeks, it has been 11 weeks today! A friend received his in five weeks and my brother filed for his and was quoted 2 weeks! What is going on?

Best Answer

I assume that you are talking about an amendment for the first time home buyers credit.

Most are running 16-20 weeks due volume of them received by the IRS. Due to many attempts to fraudulently receive the money, the IRS is verifying most, if not all, purchases.

There is no way that your brother is going to receive his money in 2 weeks and the person that said they got in 5 weeks is either wrong or very lucky.

Is the amended tax return (Form 1040X) for the first time home buyers? IF so processing takes 16-18 weeks from the date IRS received the amended return, and if IRS must request additional information from you then you can add an additional 8 weeks to the 16-18 weeks.

Call IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to find out if your amended tax return was received and if they know yet if any additional information is needed.'

Good luck! have patient IRS has a lots of investigating to do before releasing the money.

While I've never heard of an FHA tax return, I believe you filed an amended income tax return for the $8,000 credit. These are taking longer now because of the level of fraud associated with them.

• npk

There is no such thing as an "FHA tax return." If you're referring to the first time home buyer's tax credit, allow 12 to 16 weeks. Regardless of what you were "quoted."

• tro

your FHA return?

I am assuming you are saying you amended your 2008 return for the FirstTime Home Buyers' Credit?

it is taking longer for these amendments because IRS has found this to be an area of great possibility of fraud and they are examining more closely