Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 decade ago

I'm afraid to put my picture on facebook?

Afraid that people might find me ugly, I have bdd - body dismorphic disorder.. but everyone tells me i'm handsome? How to overcome my fear?

Favorite Answer

I think you look like Leonardo DiCaprio.

Seriously though, hiding yourself won't help you, regardless of your looks. I can understand not wanting to put a pic of yourself up though, pics remove anonymity. Ultimately it's your call.

Well, the people who you will be communicating with through Facebook will already know what you look like, won't they? People have added some of the worst and best pictures of me to my Facebook account. Really - I no longer care. It's all part of the fun as far as I'm concerned. Put a picture up and don't worry.

• Amanda

You have options of putting a picture of yourself up still. Have you tried doing a picture of you from a far distance? If you're taking close-ups of yourself and don't like them, then try doing one that's a lot further back. Another idea is put up something you love, like your pet, or car.

• InDigo

The only way to over come your fear is to start small.. like put your picture on here first, for 1 no one is going to comment on it or say anything mean, and for 2 you dont know anyone on here. Also people on fb i hope are your friends, and wouldnt say anything mean anyways.. and since u get called handsome all the time you probably are. You can always start with a far away picture, an then gradually a close up. Anyhow i hope you over come your fear :)

Do it but set your profile to private so only friends and family can see you. Honestly you don't want to talk to strangers on facebook anyway, they're not called STRANGErs for nothing.

• BDD is simply a specific form of anxiety centered around one's appearance. You can overcome BDD just like you can overcome any form of anxiety. There's literally thousands of methods for dealing with anxiety issues. See a psychologist, and work with him/her to find out which ones work best for you.

oh make a fake facebook in another state and start befriending strangers on facebook, if they say ur ugly you'll no not todo it for real, but im sure you a cool guy

Well if people say that you're attractive, you would probably only get positive comments on your photo. So this would probably only help your disorder!

not sure, but maybe taking alot of pictures of your self alot, not really putting them on facebook but just un till you feel comfortbal with your self. Once again i dont know if it will work, just shooting ideas.

• Shelly

FORCE yourself to put it on there. Do it anyways, it's the only way to help cure yourself of BDD.