is it safe to keep the dog (pitbull) with newborn baby in one bedroom apartment?

The dog is nice , but likes to play rough, would it be dangerous?

Favorite Answer

hi i have 3 pit bulls and a 4 month old daughter and they are great with her, i always make sure there involved and still spend time with them every day. I think that it dosent matter what breed of dog you have there all capable of being aggressive. Only you know what your dog is like and only you can make the decision, it can be very difficult getting rid of your pet but if your in doubt then maybe its the right thing to do. An one more thing no matter how friendly your dog is you should never never leave them alone with children.

Well, mostly dogs are fine with babies; they know instinctively that they are like puppies, and the worst that happens is that the dog treats the child like a puppy, which isn't always good, but it's not really dangerous. However, I vividly remember some years back when a couple brought their baby home, were relaxing in the living room, and their friendly, faithful pit bull attacked and killed the baby before they could react. The dog apparently had no history of aggression towards people; maybe he didn't realize the baby was a person. I can't answer your question, but I do have to say that you need to look into the matter. If you really love your dogs, consult a dog behaviorist on the matter; it can probably be handled.

I think everyone has answered the safety issue of the dog but I want to bring up 2 another points you might want to consider....

Time and Space!!!

I know taking care of a dog takes a lot of time but a baby will take 10 times more than that... in the beginning I can imagine it being very difficult to take care of the dog while obviously putting your baby first

Another thing is space! I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with just my husband, my daughter and I and I can't imagine having a larger dog here with us too...

Those are just some other things to consider as well

I have two pit-bulls in an apartment and I am expecting. The dogs play rough yes, but no rougher than any other dog. Pit-bulls get a bad reputation because of the idiots who bread them to be fighters. I am using the baby doll method with my dogs to get them used to someone else being around. If you train them correctly with commands they know like sit, stay, down, etc they will be just fine with your baby.

It depends, I would say watch carefully how the dog acts around the baby, you may be surprised that the dog acts like the best babysitter you've ever had, or you may not be surprised that the dog is a little too rowdy for a newborn. Dogs have an amazing way of connecting with humans, especially babies, they know how fragile they are, and have saved them in the past, that's not to say there haven't been serious accidents involving dogs and babies, so be VERY careful. Best wishes! :D

YES not yes that it's safe but yes that it's dangerous

...pitbull that likes to play rough + newborn baby = bloody baby

pits are sweet hearts i wouldnt leave the baby alone with my blue heeler and she likes to play rough but could you keep your dog? absolutely alot of people have blind fear when it comes to pit bulls as long as your dog is getting exercise and something to keep it busy i dont see why not the reason pits lash out is because there very active dogs and if your not active its hard on them they dont like to be home all day with nothing to do like labs so be careful and you know your dog also set guidlines for the dog and make sure before you ever let the dog get close to the baby let it get to know the smell and how you are around it it will help set the tone. if you notice any agressiveness towards the baby then your gonna haave to find it a new home

be safe and congrats

It is not safe, rehome the dog! Just a month after my son was born, I heard that an overtired mom slept while her toddler wandered outside and was killed by their pet pitbull. I was so sad for that mom and her family, but man, pitbulls are unstable and unsafe for kids, ESPECIALLY if you're already having enough doubts that you had to ask a forum.

Yes, do you know how many babies die because parents leave there rough playing dogs in a room with an unattended baby? alot!

Dont leave your baby in the same room if the dog plays rough, He may think the baby is a toy that squeaks.

Source(s): Mommy to a beautiful baby girl!

I would keep the dog separate from the baby no matter what kind of dog it was.