HALF of my tooth nerve is already dead, but do i wait for the whole thing to die before for root canal?

I heard root canal doesnt hurt, but when they did it on me today, only half of it was dead, so they put this thing to kill the rest and after ten minutes it hurt SOO much i cried on the way home for like 30 minutes. Is that normal? if its not completely dead are you supposed to get root canal? my friend said it... show more I heard root canal doesnt hurt, but when they did it on me today, only half of it was dead, so they put this thing to kill the rest and after ten minutes it hurt SOO much i cried on the way home for like 30 minutes.

Is that normal? if its not completely dead are you supposed to get root canal? my friend said it doesnt hurt...
Update: they opened it to put something in to kill it then closed it and im supposed to go back in a few days, so its not done yet. but is this a "correct" prcedure?