Is it illegal in the USA to buy Clove cigarettes online from Indonesia?

After the United States ban on the selling of clove, and other flavored cigarettes (like Djarum) - is it still legal for them to be purchased, online, from Indonesia? Is the ban against ownership/purchasing, or against the stores in the US that could sell them to minors? If we have packs left over from the pre-ban period, are they still legal?

Favorite Answer

Here is what I've been able to piece together about the flavored cigarette ban in H.R. 1256. This is not a definitive answer; as of yet, I can't find a clear answer from an authoritative source.

Nicotine or a specific combination of nicotine have not been scheduled in accordance with the Controlled Substances Act. (1) As I understand it, the FDA regulates the sale and importation of products, but in order to ban a food or drug entirely, it has to be scheduled in accordance with the CSA. The CSA is administered by the DEA, not the FDA. I can find no indication that a person is not allowed to possess or consume tobacco cigarettes with clove or other fruit flavorings. Currently, you can still purchase loose flavored tobacco, including clove infused tobacco, for rolling, pipe or hookah use. Accordingly, this shows that you can have a clove cigarette and smoke it.

That being said, here is the exact text from H.R. 1256 relating to flavored cigarettes. I am not an attorney, juror, or legislator, but I could not find one other section in the bill that went into further detail on what this text may mean.

‘(A) SPECIAL RULE FOR CIGARETTES- Beginning 3 months after the date of enactment of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, a cigarette or any of its component parts (including the tobacco, filter, or paper) shall not contain, as a constituent (including a smoke constituent) or additive, an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco or menthol) or an herb or spice, including strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon, pineapple, vanilla, coconut, licorice, cocoa, chocolate, cherry, or coffee, that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke. Nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to limit the Secretary’s authority to take action under this section or other sections of this Act applicable to menthol or any artificial or natural flavor, herb, or spice not specified in this subparagraph.' (2)

As far as the health risks of cloves versus traditional cigarettes, well, there isn't any difference. The only studies I have been able to find indicated that the higher the tar and nicotine levels, the higher the health risks. (3) These people are under the impression that many cloves have higher concentrations of tar and nicotine than traditional cigarettes commonly available in the US, however the kretek imported into the US had both reduced tar and nicotine levels of about (4). In example: (5)

Cloves:

Djarm Black Tar 25 mg Nicotine 1.6 mg

Djarm Black Slimz Tar 18 mg Nicotine 1.2 mg

Wismilak Diplomat Tar 35 mg Nicotine 1.7 mg

as imported in US Tar 10-12 mg Nicotine 1 mg (4)

Traditional Tobacco Cigarettes:

Marlboros Tar 13 mg Nicotine 1.0 mg

Lucky Strikes Tar 12 mg Nicotine 1.0 mg

Zins Mild (Netherlands) Tar 10 mg Nicotine 0.9 mg

Tali Jagat Filter (China) Tar 20 mg Nicotine 1.7 mg

But they didn't target cloves because of their health concerns, they targeted them for being flavors that kids may possibly like. The segment of the populace that smoked flavored cigarettes is so small that even if it doubled, you wouldn't save nearly enough to make a dent in the real numbers. See (6) and (7).

Lastly, to throw my two cents in. I like fruit loops, cocoa crispies and cereals with marshmallows. I like Belgian lambics and other beer that is made or flavored with fruit or fruit tasting additives. I like chocolate milk, whole milk, and I think ice cream is better with chocolate and strawberry sauce and a cherry on top. I also am a fan of those flavored condoms. Since my use of these products in my own home in no way affects any of you, I kindly ask that you mind your home while I mind mine.

Everyone is so willing to give up freedom to 'save even one life' and all I am remind of is all of the men who lined up to die so that we could have freedom in the first place. Why now must we give up freedom to save lives when we chose to give lives to gain it?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

For me, I find some happiness sitting down after a good meal and smoking a clove, much in the way that our forefathers enjoyed a pipe after dinner.

Clove Cigarettes Online

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

After the United States ban on the selling of clove, and other flavored cigarettes (like Djarum) - is it still legal for them to be purchased, online, from Indonesia? Is the ban against ownership/purchasing, or against the stores in the US that could sell them to minors? If we have packs left...

Source(s): illegal usa buy clove cigarettes online indonesia: https://biturl.im/Xk0XF

I smoke cloves too. I freaked out when I heard they were being banned and picked up menthols--only to find out a month later Djarum released clove cigars. They're the about the width of a any regular cigarette, taste exactly the same, except they're being sold in packs of 12. The normal price I've found is about $6-7/pack, which isn't bad, considering they last about 50% longer than the Djarum cigarettes. 711 carries them, as well as most liquor stores (in the Orange County area, at least). They've released Black, Black Vanilla, and Special varieties. Other than that, I wouldn't waste time or money trying to get clove cigarettes online; all international orders have to go through US Customs. Meaning, they'll confiscate it without having to let you know about it, or won't let the order come to the country at all.

i too smoke clove cigarettes and nobody wont give u a straight answer. YES YES AND YES you can buy them online and they are cheaper but not many cigarettes (16 in a box). i also heard they will make clove cigars because the ban is not for clove cigars they are about half as much as the cigarettes but not many in the box. this ban is stupid they claim that kids will more likely smoke these since they have cherry flavor vanilla flavor etc.Why does everyone else have to suffer just i.d. the little brats and that's it.

and i just talk to one of shops and u cant buy them after the 22 of September. so try this website i suggest to get the sample pack because the shipping is very high but the more u get the less the shipping fee. when i did it i got 20 for like $55 but with shipping it was like $60. so here is the website good luck im doing the same thing

http://clovecigaretteshop.com/catalogue/index.php?...

• 5 years agoReport

I bought mine from www.buyclovecigarettes.com receive my djarum black within a week's time, no problem in west virginia. This online store accept bitcoins, that's good thing about them, price is reasonable, postage plus cigarettes comes down to less than 4 dollars a pack, i will recommend to others

Golden... really now, what type of ANSWER was that?

Unfortunately, I cannot fully answer this question... But, there's a good reason for the ban? No. I've been smoking cloves for over ten years almost exclusively. I don't smoke thaaaaat much, but I'm fine. No bleeding lungs or melting flesh and still strong as hell. My option. How dare a group of people decide that cloves are bad...

HEY HEY! LEGALIZE MARIJUANA! BAN FLAVORED CIGS!

What gives?

Yeah... found text referring to the sale or manufacture of flavored cigs. Still not sure on the import, but I have not been seeing anything, or reading too deeply (cause I don't want to believe it). About the ownership and personal use... Yet again, I'm TRYING not to believe (good luck, I know). I'll be looking for sources. Maybe a carton a week or month will be allowed to pass customs... just don't buy a bunch, they may tag it as 'intent to sell'...

Anyway, I'm no master know-it-all who needs to force my opinions on others, but I do know how to resist the need to try to do that... hummm sounds like addiction to me.

I'm sure if someone asks for an opinion, maybe I will pipe in. But an answer? Only if I can help if in any way. Otherwise, I know how to keep my opinions to myself.

(Ya, Golden, this was a minor bash. Don't bother to reply cause I will not feed your need.)

Hope I have helped to lead the original questioner towards the answer ya seek.

Take care and good luck!

Yandi C S answered 1 day ago

I sell a wide variety of cigarette Indonesia, such as Djarum Super, Djarum Black, menthol cigarettes, Djarum Coklat Clove cigarettes, and others. Please Contact me if you want to buy Indonesian cigarette, or visit my Ecwid store by following this link https://www.facebook.com/IndonesianCloveCigarettes... You will find various kinds of cigarettes in there!

I beleive the issue was that US wont pay the import tax for them. This is another way to get biz to stay in our own country, not supporting others. Yes, you can still smoke what you got. No, you can't buy them here. No, you won't die off. Yes, Golden's oppinion was ridiculous and nasty!

I would say yeah it probably is illegal but Im not sure. I dont think you would be arrested or anything like that if you were caught with them. I mean if you have packs left over than you obviously bought them before they became illegal so you should be able to smoke them. I hate the ban as well.