Kelly
Kelly asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

How can I make beef stew SUPER tender?

I have done both... Stove top by browning it and cooking for an hour or so.. Then I have also used a crock-pot but sometimes it comes out rubbery or chewy even if I brown before throwing it in the crock-pot.. The only time I get super tender beef is if I buy a roast and put it in a crock-pot.. I need this for tomorrow's dinner-- I'd prefer the crock-pot but whatever will make the best, I'll do it... Is the secret cutting it up into bite-size pieces or soaking it in soy sauce like strip steak... I think out of all the times I have made beef stew-- I can recall twice where it was really excellent, the other times it was fine!!!

Best Answer

Buy the right cut of beef. Don't buy the "stew meat" from the grocery store. That is simply all the leftover bits of whatever the butcher is cutting up that day. It will also be different from day to day. Buy a nice small roast. Chuck Roast, sirloin and eye of round are all good and reasonably priced. Tenderloin is extremely tender but very expensive.

My personal favorite for stew is chuck roast, just make sure its nicely trimmed first. Ask the butcher to do it if you don't know how.

You must cook it at low temp for a long time. 2-3 hours on the stove and 10-12 hours in a crock pot. and you're right to brown it first.

Cut meat into cubes, salt and pepper them. brown in olive oil. Push meat aside or transfer to crock pot. Add a little more oil, onion and cook a few minutes. Add a few cups red wine, a can of tomatoes with juice, some minced garlic, dried oregano, basil, bay leaves and thyme and a little more salt and pepper. Bring to boil and simmer about 1 1/2 hours. Add some carrots and potatoes, cut into chunks and some beef stock if needed. Simmer another hour or so (if using crock pot add carrots and potatoes at the beginning and cook on low 10-12 hours). When ready to serve sprinkle in mashed potato flakes and stir to thicken. Add a little at a time until you get the right consistency.

• kovie

How To Cook Stew Meat

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How can I make beef stew SUPER tender?

I have done both... Stove top by browning it and cooking for an hour or so.. Then I have also used a crock-pot but sometimes it comes out rubbery or chewy even if I brown before throwing it in the crock-pot.. The only time I get super tender beef is if I buy a roast and put it in a crock-pot.....

Source(s): beef stew super tender: https://shortly.im/9tNaQ

Vegetable is not only a technological term, it is a cooking term. So the qualifications to become a vegetable are not very coherent, which is why we have cases like the tomato: people argue both ways.

We favor vegetables but like fruits that we use in salad such as tomatoes and avocados.

It depends on the cut of meat. Tough cuts like rump roast have little fat or collagen. Cuts like short ribs or chuck have more. The breakdown of these fats and collagen help tenderize the meat. If you want great stew, use stew meat which comes from the shoulder and neck areas or the short ribs. Cook it low and slow as in the crock pot with sufficient liquid. Otherwise, put 3 pounds of stew in the oven at 275 F for four hours in a lidded dutch oven with sufficient liquid.

Try veal osso buco, from the shank of the calf. Ask your butcher to cut it from the wide end. Put four big cuts in the crock and cover with a jar of spaghetti sauce. Let it cook 12 hours on low. Perfect fork tender and flavorful.

Yes I agree

The secret is in long cooking at low temperature.

Start with an inexpensive cut, with more marbling of fat.

Dice it into even bite-size pieces, so they cook the same.

Dredge them with flour plus salt & pepper, in a baggie.

Then brown lightly in hot oil; this adds flavour & colour.

Do not over-cook, high temperature will toughen the beef.

Add chopped onion & peppers to the pan for more flavour/colour.

You need more than an hour to cook stew on the stove-top;

a slow-cooker set on Lo for 5-7 hours is better.

Add a cup or 2 of liquid; consomme &/or red wine, not just water.

Be sure to layer your vegetables, diced potatoes & carrots first.

Then onions & celery for flavour. Add peas & corn in last 15 minutes.

• kr55

So, stick with the roast in the crockpot. My husband cooks the roast all day (from about 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) Very tender.

I work in a meat market, and we can to any of those things. Go to your local market and get your meat, and any decent place will trim the fat for no charge and should have a machine that tenderizes the meat