Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What are some common GOP critiques of defense spending, which amounted to 32% of federal tax revenues in 2008?

peachy : Economic disaster caused by deregulated free market.

Favorite Answer

What is your defense for TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS in 2009?

There were reasons before...NAME ONE REASON WE NEED TO BE THAT FAR IN DEBT NOW! I DARE YOU!

• I don't think we should have spent that much. I think we could really cut down on wasteful expenditures - a huge amount of money is needlessly wasted, such as the $150 hammer or the $900 toilet seat. I can find a better hammer for $25, and a toilet seat is pretty cheap.

However, a certain amount of defense spending is good for the economy. Do you know where most of the money goes? Private companies and businesses. Their new communication system (which is really awesome, by the way) was designed by L3 communications, which my father-in-law works for. The military jets are designed and produced by aviation companies. That money goes straight into the american economy. Everyone who criticizes military spending yet supports government stimulus, here's an argument for you.

Edit: And I have to disagree with you about the source of the economic disaster. It wasn't the unregulated free market. It was a combination of several things, including federal regulation that dictated that banks must give loans to people who can't afford to make the payments even with low interest, and Clinton's deregulation of the stock market. The stock market is different from the free market, in that the stock market produces no value whatsoever, just makes the value swap hands.

Here's some common critiques:

The GOP was not in power in 2008!

Dems controlled both houses since 2006!

Now, go rewrite history!

LOL. The GOP criticizing the GOP! No need, while we still have that other political party to blame.

Our complaint is that liberals constantly rob our defense budget.

Iran is going to obtain ICBM capabilities in a couple of years and N Korea already has such capabilities and Obama canceled missile defense for ACORN needs the money.

BUSH SPENT IT ALL IN IRAQ

the wrong country..ha hah a h

10 bil a month

OBAMA CANT SURGE THE TROOPS

WERE BROKE

fact

PUTIN HAD THE SAME PROBLEM

NO MONEY

Most of it is based on fear.

the fact that the defense budget of the U.S. is larger than all of the other countries in the world, is ridiculous.

Bush spent like a democrat, my exact problem with him.

Now Obama is Bush on steroids.

• America is like Satan.

0bama is continuing Bush's policies.

"We want more money to start more unjustified wars."