Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

What are the signs of a swim bladder infection in bettas?

My betta nado keeps floating to the top. He seems to be doing better today after I changed his water and he is eating fine. What should i do?Is this a swim bladder infection?

Please help!

Best Answer

If when you see him swimming it gives you the idea that he has an uncontrollable air balloon inside. Most probably is a bladder problem, but doesn't have to be an infection necessarily. Some foods have the ability to sometimes expand inside your fish's intestine, making it hard for the bladder to function properly. This type of bladder problem should go away by itself somewhere in between a couple of hours to a day or two. If your fish shows lack of control when swimming, don't feed him for 24 hours. Let his body get rid of what's inside it. If it doesn't get better in a day, try the Pea Method, you can google it, it's very common. Also I'm not sure, but I've heard that bad water conditions can increase the chances of getting this problem, so keep the water clean. If you have a 1 gallon tank, 100% water changes should be done every 3 - 4 days.

If the problem repeats, try a different type of food. Good quality pellets are great since you can actually see how much you are feeding your fish, and won't cause problems. If after fasting him (or she) the problem persists, then you can consider other sources like infection or deformity. Hopefully is just a minor thing that can get fix easily.

I hope this helps you at least a little, good luck.

No, it is not a swim bladder infection.

Symptoms of infections are:

Swimming tilted to either to its left or right,

Swims to the top but falls down sooner not able to retain in top,

Stops eating.

And floating at top means is it floats in the right position or it floats to its sides or back or some thing like that? If it is just being in top of the tank means it is not a problem, if it is floating up the top means it may be bladder problem.