cooking a pork roast... sear the meat?

im cooking a pork roast tonight for dinner, and I wanted to try to sear the meat before I cook it in the oven, because last time it came out without any color on it and it was kind of dry.

do i season it with all my seasonings before or after I sear it? How long should I cook in the oven and at what temp after its been seared? Does anyone know of an easy glaze to put on it after its been seared that's made with stuff I have in the kitchen (no special vinegars or mustards) or any particularly good/easy recipes of seasonings and stuff?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I season all sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Med-high heat with EVOO and brown each side, place in baking pan. Then take stock and deglaze the pan you just used to get all of the flavor off the bottom of the pan. Pour in a measuring cup and add a packet of onion soup mix.Per making the soup instructions. Place in oven (covered) on 375 for about 35-45 min.for 1 1/2 lbs. roast. Internal temp of 145 degrees. Toss in onion, carrots, and potatoes and keep liquid on it and your all set.

You can also do this in a crock pot also but I do the meat the night before and let cook on low all night and day and then add veggies about 1 1/2 before dinner and the meat just falls apart and then left overs if any can be paired with noodles and left over veggies the next night for pork n noodle soup or this works well with a beef roast also.

Check out the bacon wrapped roast on this web site it sounds delish.

Sorry I don't really measure anything I just pour and cook. Enjoy.

• 5 years ago

Source(s): Perfect Paleo Recipes Cookbook : http://paleocookbook.raiwi.com/?uChy
  • Serena
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Season liberally all over with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and powdered sage. Let it sit outside the refrigerator an hour before roasting.

To roast: preheat oven to 450 F degrees*. Put roast in roasting pan fat/skin side up. Place it in the oven so that it is in the center - sometimes the rack position just below the center works well. Immediately decrease the oven temperature to 325 F degrees and roast 45 - 50 minutes per pound. It should be pretty dark and it will shrink. If your roast has a bone, twist it - and if it comes out easily, the roast is done.

Remove roast from oven and cover. Allow to sit at least 30 minutes, but it's better to let it sit an hour. Your roast should pretty much fall apart as you cut it. After you're done, season the meat one more time to taste with the spices mentioned earlier. I tend to serve the pork as pulled pork (shredded pork) with BBQ sauce, but as long as the seasoning is done well, the pork will taste good on its own.

*(The step where you preheat the oven to 450 F degrees is so that the oven will sear the meat for you.)

PS - one important note: when shopping for a pork roast, look for one with lots of marbling and a good thick layer of fat on one side. It makes for a more tender, juicy roast.

Source(s): I serve pork using this recipe for pot lucks and family get togethers often. It's always a hit.
  • 1 decade ago

===

Pork Roast

3 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup diced carrots

1 teaspoon paprika

3/4 cup chicken broth

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown roast in butter for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a roasting pan. In the same skillet, saute onion and carrots until crisp-tender. Place around roast. Sprinkle with paprika. Add broth to pan.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 50 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160 -170 degrees.

Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour pan drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. Add water to measure 2-2/3 cups. In a saucepan, combine flour and sour cream until smooth. Add drippings, parsley and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the roast.

====================================

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Todd
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

You want the internal temp to be 155 F in the center of the thickest part of the roast. Best guess, 75-90 minutes at 325 F, make sure to baste or it'll be pretty dry. If you don't have a meat thermometer, you'll have to cut into the roast to make sure it's done.

• 1 decade ago

Season then sear.....Season with lawreys seasoned salt and pepper.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.