What do you think of when you see a Confederate flag?

I happen to be pro-Confederacy, and lately, I have been running into trouble because of my flag. I live in New Jersey, an original "Yankee" state. Anyways, I want to know what you think of when you see a Confederate flag. By the way, I don't believe in slavery or racism, please don't scold me.

Thanks, they're all great answers so far. I know, the war originally started over government taxes, but then turned into something totally different. Thanks for understanding!

• Laredo
    Favorite Answer

As someone from the UK when I see the Confederate flag I just think of The South, do they not call it the beautiful South!. There are areas in England that have the same problem when our Union Jack is hoisted, some people seem to take offence. They even suggested not flying the flag of England (St. George) anymore, well that was like a red flag to a bull for my husband. Next day he went out and bought the largest St George flag he could and promptly hoisted it in the back garden! So you fly your flag and be proud of it young lady!

Dear Miss Southern Belle: It's funny you should ask this question. I find it interesting because it makes me think about how I truly feel about the confederate flag. For that you get a star.

Just last week I was in Gettysburg, PA, the sight of a great battle during the Civil War. I was walking through the National Soldiers Cemetery there, paying my respects to the hundreds of war dead from both sides who are interred there. Right across the street, outside the cemetery, was a US and confederate flag flying from the same flagpole, and I found the confederate flag a bit jarring. Like it was a slap in the face to all the federal soldiers buried there, that the confederate flag still waves over them. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

What do I think of when I see a Confederate flag? I think of a foreign country that waged war against the USA. It just happened to share the same heritage and the same continent. If we truly are a United States, the confederate flag has no place inside our borders. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to equate the stars and bars with the swastika flag. Both waged war against the USA, subjugated millions of people, and caused hundreds of thousands of US casualties. I don't see too many people flying swastika flags these days, do you?

Thanks for the question. Sometimes you don't get the answer you're looking for.

• Andy S

I don't know exactly what it means to be "pro-Confederacy" and I know the war didn't start to settle the issue of slavery. However, that is what the war turned into after the Emancipation Proclamation. Had the Confederacy won slavery would have persisted so I therefore can't shake the nagging feeling people who display the flag tacitly endorse slavery or racism. I'm all for Southern Pride but to support the Confederacy by displaying its flag is to support its institutions in my mind which I cannot agree with.

I think of a Free-er America. And a better one overall.

I too am Pro-Confederacy. Though a Californian. And never a Southerner in any of my family history.

Though Oddly enough, my Great Uncle, a Vietnam Vet, Captain. Who lost a leg to the war, and the LA DA during the Manson Trials, had the same name as a Confederate General.

• Liane

I am a Northerner. The confederate flag is part of the history of the South. And I agree with them, that if you don't like it, get out. It has been turned into a symbol of racism by those who do not like it. If you do not like it, then have Congress pass a law, like Germany did after WWII, that bans the display of the flag (in Germany's case, the Nazi flag) If you believe it should be banned, I will not stop you. That is your right as an American Citizen.

The Confederate flag represents the 19th century Confederate States of America, which no longer exist. Therefore, when someone flies the Confederate flag, I get the impression they are stating they wish the Confederate States of America still existed.

I also believe it is your right to fly what flag you wish, but in my opinion, if you are trying to show pride of the state of which you were born, you should fly your state's flag along with the American flag.

I've asked like 20-40 questions about this.

The Southern aristocrats had no problem with the Union until the relative anti-slavery Lincoln got elected. After he did, they attempted secession.

ergo, the Confederate flag is racist.

Source(s): . No union with slavery flag http://www.cowanauctions.com/department_view_item....

I think of a country that fought for what they believed in and never gave up until the very end. Not all the things about the Confederacy were bad they had their good points too. Hope this helps

When I see a Confederate Flag, I think of the suffering the entire country experienced, the millions lost on both sides, a nightmare to those of that time period. Americans died, not blue and grey. All who died should be honored.

Fortitude in face of adversity.

An unwillingness to give in to authority until all avenues of resistance have failed, remember the South lived on acorns and grits the last year of the war. Exhausting all resources in resistance. Nobility in the face of defeat.