Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do you think some churches are sexist and even the bible is sexist?

I found this blurb online and it leading me to belive that the bible is sexisit. How can i be exspected to tolerate this kind of thinking! Its crazy is the bible woman hating?!

Should you leave a church if it utilizes woman pastor?

Opinions will vary when it comes to answering the question of whether or not we should leave a church if it allows women to preach and teach from the pulpit. So, I can only give you my opinion. I would quickly leave my church if it started to have women preach from the pulpit.

I would leave because I would no longer be able to trust the leaders of the church to interpret the word of God properly. For me it is simple. It would not matter how many friendships I had developed in the church. It would not matter if I was being used in the church. And, it would not matter that people might look down on me for leaving. But that's what I would do because I would be afraid that the door to liberalism had been opened.

Is this an overreaction? Not at all. We must remain faithful to Scripture and this requires that we act. If I believe that women are not to teach and exercise authority in the Church, and that the pastorate is reserved for elders who are husbands of one wife, then how could I in good conscience sit under the teaching of those who would contradict such clear Scripture? I could not. Could you?

Let's look at what the Bible says.

* 1 Tim. 2:12-14, "But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being quite deceived, fell into transgression."

* 1 Tim. 5:17, "Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching."

* Titus 1:5-9, "For this reason I left you in Crete, that you might set in order what remains, and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6 namely, if any man be above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. 7 For the overseer must be above reproach as God’s steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, 8 but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, 9 holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, that he may be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict."

Favorite Answer

Yes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YzkUREssT4

Youtube thumbnail

The Bible is the single most influential reason why women were mistreated throughout history and why they do not have the same de facto rights as men today (sexism, misogyny, unequal wages). When Christians try to redeem the Bible, they are saying "this is what it says, but it is not what it means". If the bible is to be interpreted through the lens of what the society considers acceptable, then nothing in the Bible can be taken for its face value, and the WHOLE Bible is obsolete. Do you see the absurdity here?

Sexism in the Bible

http://members.shaw.ca/tfrisen/Bbl/Sexism/Sexism.h...

But before you even get into the righteousness of the book, consider its history. A little research would bring you to the conclusion that the bible is a collection of myths and fairytales. There is no good reason to believe in what it says.

I recommend the film "Religulous" with Bill Maher--a very funny and didactic documentary about religion's role in our society.

I wish for you to take a look at the evidence and make a conclusion for yourself based on critical thinking, and not to be overshadowed by the longing for god. Faith is an unnecessary crutch. It is much more liberating to accept the reality as it is.

"It goes with a courageous intent to greet the universe as it really is, not to foist our emotional predispositions on it [as religion does] but to courageously accept what our explorations tell us."

-- Carl Sagan, The Varieties of Scientific Experience

Source(s): Daniel Dennett - Breaking the Spell Christopher Hitchens - God is not Great Sam Harris - The End of Faith Sam Harris - Letter to a Christian Nation Ayaan Hirsi Ali - Infidel Mark Twain - Letters from the Earth Carl Sagan - The Varieties of Scientific Experience Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion Dan Barker - Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists Bertrand Russell - Why I Am Not a Christian Bill Maher - Religulous (film)

yes ,i agree with your point of views , please read Genesis 19 ,35 ,38 , 2samuel 13 ,16 , Judges 19 verse 24 to 30 ,Genesis 9 verse 21 if such are the priest ,God bless the congregations, 1 Samuel 19 verse 24 , 2 samuel 6 ;20 in Isaiah , and the Lord said ,like my servant Isaiah hath walked naked and bare footed 3 years ,young and old ,naked and bar footed ,even their buttocks uncovered ,to the shame of Egypt , hope you get the answer , thanks 4 ur question , may god bless you

Source(s): bible

On the other hand lets look at some of the great women of the bible such as Deborah, Esther, Ruth, or Jael the wife of Heber (who drove a tent peg through the temple of a man who was violently oppressing her people), and what they have done for their nation.

Very much so!

It's sad that women are still being seen as less than men, but what is worse than that is when women lay down and accept it.

Misogynistic men and door mats for women have a lot to answer for.

The reason the bible may show some signs of sexism

was because of the times of when it was written.

It had to relate to the people of the current age.

Therefore saying women were mens servants was normal.

Yes they are sexist. And I would not want a woman pastor.

• Yes they are sexist, homophobic, and much more!

of course it is. sexist,racist and homophobic. Not very nice people...

People in the Bible are patriarchal, not sexist.