How safe is the london underground?

My boyfriend and I live far away from eachother. He moved to Milton Keynes and im from Cardiff. But we agreed to stay with eachother. We go see eachother as often as we can and we use the trains. Well its my turn to go see him and i really don't like travelling up there again, i don't mind being on my own... show more My boyfriend and I live far away from eachother. He moved to Milton Keynes and im from Cardiff. But we agreed to stay with eachother. We go see eachother as often as we can and we use the trains. Well its my turn to go see him and i really don't like travelling up there again, i don't mind being on my own but its just too long but i do it for him. Anyway from Cardiff to MK i change trains 4 times and the waits are like 20mins! It really takes the p!ss. But I could change just twice but that means having to go on the London Underground and im so scared of using the tube. I can go from Cardiff straight to London Paddington then on the Tube to London Pancrase then straight to MK.
If i leave at 7am i arrive there around 11:30am if i choose to use the tube. If again i choose to not use the tube and stay on the trains i leave at 7am and arrive around 4:30pm!! I really wanna go on the underground but im scared of it, not going underground but im scared of the people. I would be stuck underground with people from London and on the tube you sit opposite eachother and i can't have someone staring at me opposite, and i might not even have a seat because the tubes are normally packed with full of people and it gets soo hot. But i just wanna know with you lot, is the London underground as bad as i think it is? I won't get murdered of raped would i if i used the tube? It sounds and looks so scary, but its the people im worried about. You all know what Londoners are like, i don't mean to insult you Londoners but im talking about gangs of teenagers on the tube. Ahh please help :(