Would you leave your young children at the bus stop by themselves at night?

I was on the bus last night around 8:30 coming home from work and there were 2 boys like under the age of 5 at the bus stop and one of the was in the stroller and they was going to get on the bus and told the bus driver to wait on their mom. The bus driver asked them "where is your mom?" The older boy told him that his mom went to Walgreens across the street and wanted to hold the bus for her. The bus driver told them "I gotta go and everybody else ain't gonna wait for your mom to get through shopping". I mean we live in Chicago and to leave her young kids at the bus stop like that is dangerous and God knows what would have happened to them. She could've taken her kids with her and wait for another bus. A product is not as important than your kids well being. What do you think of this?

Favorite Answer

HELL NO! That's child endangerment and the bus driver should've let those little boys on the bus and called the police. Plus the mother should be in jail because what if one of them dropped some toy in the street and they try to get it in a busy traffic or some pedophile kidnaps them both and they end up dead? Take your kids with you in you got to go to the store SO bad so they can be safe.

• JAG

I dont know what you can do about this now except possibly report the incident to the transportation company. The bus driver should have put the bus in park and radioed in that he needed assistance with 2 abandoned kids. He should not have moved from that bus stop. What if, god forbid, those 2 kids were abducted or killed or whatever after he pulled away? Even if I had no legal compunction that required me to stay, I would have.

• Luna

I totally agree - that is very inappropriate! I don't think that parents need to be overprotective or anything, but this is going much too far. Children that young shouldn't be left alone, period, especially not at night in Chicago. I'm 13 and I practice 3 different types of martial arts, and I would be a little scared to wait at a bus stop alone at night (and would be a LOT more scared if I lived in Chicago). And my parents are definitely not overprotective, I've just heard horror stories of kidnappings and child abduction and stuff like that, so I try to be careful.

Honestly, she should've taken them with her. She would've had to catch another bus anyway since she missed the first one, so it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Or she should've just waited at the bus stop with her kids instead of going off shopping. Really.

I think that you should call the CPS and explain the situation to them.

Get the address of the Walgreens and the bus stop number from the bus company and tell them that they need to find this woman.

Leaving your children like that at a bus stop is abandonment.

That mother should not even have those kids if thats how she treats them..and the bus driver is just as bad for saying like oh well and just leave them standing there!! The mother is CRAZY

I think that's horrible! I would never leave my children waiting at a bus stop at night to hold the bus while I went into a store! That's effing ridiculous!

• anaise

This is when the driver of the bus should have done something drastic like call the authorities or something. That parent would have received a wakening of a life time.

I think the driver should have picked the kids up and taken them to the closest child protection office. At the very least, he should have let them on the bus and called the cops. I can't believe he left them standing there.

(I know, not really his problem. The mother should be flayed. I'm sure she really needed whatever the blue light special was, but... OMG.)

• I wouldn't even leave my 13 year old alone at a bus stop at night- ESPECIALLY not in Chicago! I grew up in Downers Grove- a suburb of Chicago, and I know how scary chicago can be!

Hell, I wouldn't leave her alone at a bus stop at night in chicago when she is all grown up....NO WAY.

Source(s): That mother is a moron. I would have picked up those little boys and left my phone number by the bus stop for that mom to call when she decided she wanted to care for her boys. I would NOT have left those 2 babies by themselves. NOI WAY.

What do I think of this? I think this lady shouldn't have two children! This is horrible! I hate people that don't know how to take care of their kids! Doesn't matter if she was going to be back in two seconds or if she was going to be bakc in 2 hours. She should not have left them there.