is 50W (RMS) Total Power Output good for an external speaker?

so is it good? what is better? is it loud and clear?

Please help me :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

50 RMS has absolutely nothing to do with quality of sound, loudness, or anything else.

It's just a measure of electrical power.

Think of it this way. Is 100 horsepower good?

In a Go-cart, it's plenty. In a ship, it's nothing. In a car, with poor gearing, sucks. On a skateboard, it's stupid fast.

All depends on how it's used. Number really doesn't matter as much as those bragging about it would like to think.

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/misc/rmspower.htm

It's pretty much entirely useless.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Depends on the size and quality of the speaker. Also depends what you are using the speaker for. If you are using a microphone to make a speech or commentary, then it is more than enough power to do the job. But if you are using it for music for maybe a party or something along the lines, maybe you might need more power. But even that could be enough if you know what you are doing. If it is a car stereo using a car speaker in an external box that you can detach from the car, then yes it is should be good enough using it for mids and trebs. Not good for a sub, however, you will need more power to have nice, hard bass. Make sure that the Ohms of the bass matches the Ohms of the amplifier being used. You also need to know that RMS is the total amount of continued current that is being pushed to the speaker. Has nothing to do with the total amount of watts that the amp uses and has. Whether the amp says 100 total watts or 1000 total watts, that is only the amp and not RMS. RMS is the total amount of current supplied to the speaker in a continous form, while Total Watts are the total watts that the amp has.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Don't worry about the wattage to much, though that seems a little low. Instead look for other things, the craftsmanship of the speaker, the materials, the shape, is it 2-way or 3. These things make more of a difference than than the (RMS). I think that number is really only useful when your considering whether you need an amp or not. And with 50W that is a definite no.

I have a pair of 150W 3-way Rockford Fosgates that sound much better than a more expensive pair of 200W 2-way Infinity's.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awToW

The 300 watt total power is really a meaning less figure its used to represent peak power but peak power can be measured in different ways for instance it could be a burst signal at 1hz for a millisecond of time creating 300 watts at 10 percent distortion or even 15% or 20% over that time period.. who knows....this type of test is going to be meaningless in real world conditions because you will never feed a signal like that into your speakers...it use to be that peak power represented 2X RMS...but you can see this is no longer the case... RMS is a little more standardized its usually a sustained signal of at least a few seconds but again the measurement could be only at 1hz and could be at 10% distortion...the most meaning full measurement is going to be 20 to 20K measurement at .09% distortion or less, because this is what you really can hear...this is why it is so ridiculous when people ask... can I use my speakers that are rated at 150 watts with my amp that is only 75 watts because basically its like trying to compare apples to oranges with blind folds on and your hands tied behind your back....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

50w Rms

• 1 decade ago

I would get something around 200W for a coaxial speaker, more watt will make it more loud and if you want it to be clear make sure its a 2 ohm speaker. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

that's just what the sub can handle continuously that's it. just go somewhere you can hear car audio and pick out the ones that sound good to you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

not really if your trying to be a douche bag and play your music loud you'll need a lot more

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.