Deshaw asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Doce the Confederate flag mean slavery?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

No, it does not. But for far too many who display it, it reflects defiance of authority. It is intended to reflect the same attitude as that held by those who hold the early American standard (flag) which showed a venomous snake coiled and ready to strike, with the legend "Don't Tread on Me!" underneath it.

Those who display the Confederate flag are not usually overt racists. They want to defy all authority - perpetual adolescents, if you will. They're also pathetically ill-informed: the flag most often called the Confederate flag today was not the Confederate flag, it was the Confederate battle standard - used as a rallying point and guidon for Confederate soldiers on the battle field. The original Confederate flag was the "Bonny Blue" a solid blue flag with a large, single white star in the center. Another was soon adopted, called the "First National" that had a red stripe on top, a white one in the middle and another red stripe at the bottom. It had a canton - the area on the US flag where the stars are - of blue, and had seven white stars arranged in a circle on that canton. It, and not the battle flag, was the real "Stars and Bars". This flag was amended twice.

The Confederate battle flag, with the St. Andrews cross, was originally a naval ensign.

• 1 decade ago

As noted, it is the battle flag of the Confederate Army that has been loaded with prejudice as racist or advocating slavery. It does not mean slavery except in the eyes of some beholders, though it has been made into a political symbol to call Southerners racists.

The Confederate flag at issue is the old St. Andrews Cross, chosen due to the large Scot-Irish heritage of the southern colonies.Captured rebel flags still hang without comment or controversy n many, if not most, state capitals and state museums in the Northern states which sent troops to fight in the Civil War.

The majority of Southern soldiers did NOT own slaves, and they did not fight and die for slave-holding.

The American colonials had made their own objections to slavery clear during the Revolutionary War against Britain, The UK still sanctioned slavery and owned large numbers of slaves, both in the American colonies and the West Indies.

Nonetheless, we do not often believe that the Union Jack denotes slavery, although slavery was a common practice among the members of the UK.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No.

The so-called "Confederate Flag" is actually the"National Ensign of the Confederate States of America." It originally was a white flag with the modified St. Andrew's Cross (X-shaped, not cruciform) in the field, and embossed on the arms of the cross were the thirteen stars of the (hopeful) states of the nation. Missouri and Kentucky never seceded from the Union, but were still (oddly) recognized as being Confederate states, too.

The white body of the flag, when draped or furled, appeared to be a white flag, as in a flag of surrender or parlay, and a number of disastrous incidents took place where it appeared that a company of men were surrendering, only to open fire on Federal positions, so a broad red stripe was added to belay the confusion.

The flag, and its country, are part of the history of The United States of America, just as slavery in both the North and South are part of history too. Most New England states did not abolish slavery until 1805 or later. Philadelphia still has (or did when I lived there) the barracoons or slave quarters on South Street preserved for posterity and to remind us that the peculiar institution was practiced all over the New World for generations.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The confederate battle flag (the stars and bars, which is what you're probably talking about), did not originally mean slavery, as the war was originally about states rights. The war came to be about slavery, and after the war, racist vigilante groups co-opted the battle flag and at that time it did indeed become a symbol of bigotry and racism.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No. The Confederate flag is a symbol of southern heritage. Unfortunately, many people have made it a racist thing. I do not believe in racism, I believe each person should be treated equally. There are good and bad in every race. However, I am proud to be from the south and see nothing wrong with the flag. It represents many things to me, but not as a support of racism.

• 1 decade ago

For me the confederate flag is the symbol of slavery. It was flown over the confederate states whose whole focus was perserving the institution of slavery. When the southerns went into battle they flew the confederate flag. If they had won the war I am sure the Confederate flag would be a symbol of their victory.

• 1 decade ago

what is a 'doce'? oh and by the way, the confederate DOES NOT mean slavery. it is the old union jack and for those uninitiated who feel it does, knows jack about history, flags and all else in between!

• Rubym
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It does not literally, but it since it was used by Condederate troops it is and always will be associated with slavery. I am from the North, and white, but cringe if I see one. I know all people who have Confederate flags aren't racists, but it does bother me.

• mulry
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

The accomplice conflict Flag replaced into dredged up contained in the 1950's as a logo of protest against the ending of racial segregation, and the granting of balloting rights to black electorate. The conflict flag replaced into in no way a close-by flag (a various flag replaced into the nationwide flag of the CSA), and the federal government in no way "overstepped its barriers" and tried to end slavery contained in the South previous to the Civil conflict.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. However the stance for that side was to keep slavery as part of this country's industry.

I'm hoping it means other things since so many people want to keep it as a standard i.e. L.S.U. (purple and gold version; yet they have black men on their football team), Mississippi various places.

years ago on a radio station the "hot" topic was what was the flag for yet not many people called in with "justified" reasons. vague stuff like it's pretty, it's their heritage (that could say a lot).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.