Latin to English Translation please!!!!!?

veste ergo mutata, domos circumiit amicorum, qui in tanto periculo sibi auxilio essent. omnibus autem abnuentibus, domum rediit, spe omni deiectus.

Please help!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Therefore, having changed his clothes, he went around to the homes of his friends, who used to help him in such [times of] peril. However, since/because all [his friends] refused [to help him], he returned home, discouraged of all hope.

-----

"veste...mutata": ablative absolute, lit. "with his clothes having been changed". Note that although singular in Latin ("vestibus" would be the plural), English uses a plural. Also, perfect participles tend be be temporal, i.e. they define a sequence of events, as in "he changed his clothes, then he went to his friends"). Compare with "abnuentibus", below.

"ergo": post-positives, like "ergo" and "autem", are often translated in front of the word they modify.

"circumiit": i.e. "circumivit"; syncopated 3rd pers. sing. perfect of "circumeo, circumire" = "to encircle/wander around".

"qui...essent": note the subjunctive "essent", which makes this a relative clause of characteristic. lit. "who were those kinds of people that would help him". Note that if it was "erant", then it would mean his friends were actually helping him at that point in time.

"sibi auxilio": this is based on the expression "auxilio esse + <dative>", which means "to be of assistance to; to help". "auxilio" is dative of purpose ("for help"), and is followed by the dative of the person or thing affected, in this case "sibi". Note that "sibi" refers to the subject of the main sentence (i.e. "circumiit"), not of the subordinate clause (i.e. "essent"). Other examples of this expression include: "beneficio esse" = "to be advantageous to", and, "usui esse" = "to be useful to".

"omnibus...abnuentibus": another abl. abs.; "abnuentibus" comes from "abnuo, abnuere" = "to refuse/reject/decline". Present tense abl. abs. tend to be causal, hence the use of "since" or "because".

"rediit": i.e. "redivit".

"spe omni": ablative of reference, i.e. "with respect to all hope".

"deiectus": perf. part. of "deicio, deicere, deieci, deiectus" = "to throw/let/send/put down". As a perf. part., it's passive, i.e. "having been put/let down". Combined with "spe omni": "having been let down with respect to all hope".

• 1 decade ago

Okay, I'm not gonna translate this for you, because I don't know all the vocabulary off the top of my head, but go get a Latin-English dictionary, find the meaning of all the words, look at the endings and distinguish parts of speech, and put the puzzle together.

Source(s): ex-Latin student Aeneid translator
  • 1 decade ago

FreeTranslation.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.