Does purpose and reason mean the same thing?

Reason and Purpose... Technically, don't they mean the same thing depending on how you use the word....

Favorite Answer

Look them up on dictionary.com and you'll see that they have very little to do with each other. To do something for a purpose means you're doing it to accomplish something else, which is your PURPOSE. Accomplishing a purpose is only one of many reasons why we do something--in this case, REASON is more like "motive." A reason can be false or trivial or even illogical to the point that one can, for example, buy something that won't accomplish the intended purpose. You might insist that you want a v-8 engine for power or hauling ability, but it won't accomplish the purpose of saving you money on gas, will it?

Source(s): I have taught grammar and writing since 1969.

yeah they can mean same thing at times. like say u helped ur dad with the lawn to get ur allowance.

the reason i helped dad is so i could get my allowance.

the purpose for helping dad was to get my allowance.

so yeah it can mean the same thing. its technically the outcome of an action