Reggie
Reggie asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

Is it weird for a 17 year old to date a 14 year old?

Im a 17 year old guy and i have a problem. My girlfriend whose a freshman is 14 years old. Im 17 and a junior in high school. I havent told my parents that i have a girlfriend yet. I told my parents if i dated a girl who was 14 would they think it was weird. They told me i should date people my own age. What should i do? is that werid?

Favorite Answer

i don't think that it is weird, im a 17 year old girl and i like a 14, almost 15 year old guy

Age is only a number, the world over rated ages, and made it so you basically hangout, date, befriend, etc with people your age. I don't really think it matters, because most of my friends are 3 years older. It doesn't matter, because you only have a small difference, some people will say things about it, but who cares as long as you're happy. It would only be weird if you were like 18.

No its not. I was 17 when I started dating my wife she was 14. 10 years later and we are still together. We've been married 3 years and have a daughter who is a 1.5 old. Just make sure you check the statitory rape laws in your state, and also make sure that her parents are ok with it.

• Steve

It's not weird but her parents might have a problem with it. Unless they trust you, they might think you're just looking for sex and will take advantage of their daughter. That's why you're told to date people your own age. What you should do is let your parents know you have a girlfriend. Ask her parents if they are ok with you being with their daughter.

I had a friend who dated a senior, he was a druggie who cheated a bunch though... I knew another freshman who dated another senior, and they were going to get married until she moved to Africa. And I knew several people who went with juniors to prom (not just as friends) but never went out again.

So it's not exactly common, and when you tell people they'll probably be like "okaaaaaaay" for a second, but it isn't THAT weird.

It isn't weird at all. I don't understand why everyone wants to restrict everything based off of age. If someone only hangs out with people the same age as them they are missing out on a lot. Go for it, and don't listen to what other people say.

My sister is just about 14, and if she were dating a guy even a year older, I would wonder what was wrong with him. It's a different story if you are 28 and dating a girl who is 25.

ya it weird, date someone your own age. i would be pissed if my 14 yr old was dating a 17 yr old. plus it makes you look like a pedophile, if you were 18 you would get in trouble esp if u knocked her up.

I know 14 year olds who have dated 17 year olds, this girl at my school was.

It's normal, as long as you aren't dating 10 year olds...

• My boyfriend is a senior and he is 17, I'm 14.

Its not a big deal (: