History Readings for College Course?
I am a college student currently taking a History course. My professor gave us a list of over 200 books to choose three from, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I am not a History major myself, so I would like something that might be a little less complex of a read, under 200 pages would be preferred as I am taking a very heavy course load this semester, however the length really is not all that much of a concern. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
1. Abu-Jamal, Mumia. Live From Death Row
2. Argote-Freyre, Frank. Fulgencio Batista: From Revolutionary to Strongman
3. Asinof, Eliot. 1919: America’s Loss of Innocence.
4. Almond, Gariel and Sidney Verba. The Civic Culture
5. Amato, Paul and Alan Booth, A generation At Riskin An Era of Family Upheaval.
6. Ambrose, Stephen, Band of Brothers (NAK)
7. Ammerman, Nancy Tatom. Bible Believers: Fundamentalists in the Modern World.
8. Anbinder, Tyler. Five points: The 19th Century New York City Neighborhood That
Invented Top.. Dance, Stole Elections and Became the World’s Most Notorious Slum.
9. Appy, Christian. Working Class War: American Combat Soldiers and Vietnam .
10. Asis, Moises and Robert Levine. Cuban Miami (NAK)
11. Avrich, Paul. Sacco and Vanzetti: The Anarchist Background.
12. Bailyn, Bernard. The Ideological origins of the American Revolution.
13. Baker, Lee D. From Savage to *****.
14. Barreiro, Jose. Indian Roots of American Democracy.
15. Baumgardner, Jen. & Amy Richards. Manifesta: Young Women, Feminism, & the Future.
16. Behr, Edward. Prohibition.
17. Bellah, Robert. Habits of the Heart.
18. Berman, Morris. Coming to Our Senses.
19. Berman, Morris. The Twilight of American Culture.
20. Berry, Jeffery. Lobbying for the people: The political Behavior of Public Interest Groups.
21. Berthoff, Rowland. An Unsettled People: Social Order and Disorder in American history.
22. Blum, William. Rogue State: A Guide to the World’s Only Superpower.
23. Bodnar, John. The Transplanted: A History of Immigration in Urban America.
24. Bordin, Ruth. Women and Temperance: The Quest for Power and liberty.
25. Bork, Robert. Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and the American Dream.
26. Bradley, James. Flags of Our Fathers.
27. Breecher, Jeremy. Strike!
28. Brodkin, .. How Jews Became White Folks & What That Says About Race In America.
29. Brokaw, Tom. The Greatest Generation.
30. Brooks, David. Bobos in Paradise: The New Upper Class and How They Got There.
31. Carlson, Laurie Winn. A Fever in Salem: A New Interpretation of the New England Witch Trials.
32. Carson, Rachel. Silent Spring.
33. Carter, Jimmy, Our Endangered Values , Americas Moral Ciriis
34. Carter, Stephen. The Culture of Disbelief.
35. Chomsky, Noam. Manufacturing Consent.
36. Colby,Ehrlich,Educating Citizens, preparing America's undergraduates for moral & civic responsibility
37. Cosmos, Ellis. The Rage of a Privileged Class.
38. Conason, Joe. Big Lies
39. Coulter, Ann. Treason
40. Crosby, Alfred. The Columbian Exchange: Biological & Cultural Consequences of 1492.
41. Daniels,Roger,Coming to America: History of Immigration & Ethnicity in American Life.
42. Daniels, Rogers. Not Like Us :Immigrants and Minorities in America. 1890-1924.
43. Davis, Angela. Women Race and Class.
44. Davis & Harrison,Book of Peoples of the World
45. Dees, Morris. Gathering Storm: America’s Militia Threat.
46. Delbanco, Andrew. The Death of Satan: How Americans Have Lost the Sense of Evil.
47. Derber, Charles. Corporate Nation.
48. DeTocqueville, Alexis. Democracy in America.
49. Dezell, Maureen. Irish America: Coming Into Clover.
50. Diner, Hasia. In the Almost Promised Land: American Jews & Blacks. 1915-1935.
51. Diner, Steven. A Very Different Age: Americans of the Progressive Era.
52. Dinnerstein, Leonard and David Reimers. Ethnic Americans.
53. Dolan,J.,The American Catholic Experience: A History from Colonial Times to Present.
54. Douglass, Frederick. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass: An American Slave.
55. DuBois, W.E.B. The Souls of Black Folk.
56. Dubofsky, Melvyn. The State and Labor in Modern America.
57. DucDo , Helen. The Vietnamese Americans.
58. Ehrenreich, Barbara. Nicked and Dimed: Or, Nor getting By in America.
59. Ehrenreich, Barara. The Snarling Citizen.
60. Ehrenreich, Barbara. Fear of Falling: The Inner Life of the Middle Class.
61. Eisler, Kim. Revenge of the Pequots: How a Small Native American Tribe Created The World’sMost Profitable Casino.
62. Elder, Larry. The 10 Things You Can’t Say in America. (NAK )
63. Ellis, S.The End of Victory Culture:Cold War America & the Disillusioning Of a Generation.
64. Evans, Sara. Born For Liberty: A History of Women in America.
65. Fadiman, Anne, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down
66. Faludi, Susan. Backlash: the Undeclared War Against Women
67. Faludi, Susan. Stiffed! The Betrayal of American
68. Faragher,J John Mack. Wom
67. Faludi, Susan. Stiffed! The Betrayal of American
68. Faragher,J John Mack. Women and Men on the American Trail
69. Farrel, Warren. The Myth of Male Power
70 .Fernandez-Shaw, Carlos. The Hispanic Presence in North America.
71. Ferrel, Robert. Woodrow Wilson and World War 1: 1917-1921.
72. Finke, Roger and Rodney Stark. The Churching of America-1776-1990
73. Firmat, Gustavo Perez. Life on the Hyphen: The Cuban-American War.
74 .Fishman, Robert. Bourgeois Utopias: The Rise and Fall of Suburbia.
75. Foner, Eric. The Story of American Freedom.
76. Foner, Nancy. From Ellis Island to JFK: New York’s Tow Great Waves of Immigration
77 .Franklin, H. Bruce. Vietnam and Other American Fantasies
78. Franklin, John Hope. Black Leaders of the Twentieth Century.
79. Frazier, Ian. On the Rez.
80. Reehling, William. The South vs .The South: How Anti-Confederate Southerners Shaped The Course of the Civil War.
81.Fussell, Paul. Class: A Guide Through the American Status System.
82. Gable, John. The Bull Moose Years: Theodore Roosevelt and the Progressive Party.
83. Gates, Henry Louis. Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Man.
84. Genovese, Eugene. Roll Jordan. Roll: The World the Slaves Made.
85. Giddings, Paula. When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America.
86. Ginzberg, Eli. The Unemployed.
87. Glatthaar, Joseph. The March to the Sea & beyond: Sherman’s Troops in the Savannah & Carolinas Campaign .
88. Goldman, Emma. Living My Life.
89. Goldman, Peter and Tony Fuller. Charlie Company: What Vietnam Did To Us.
90. Gonzalez, Juan. A Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America.
91. Gordon, Linda, Heroes of Their Own Lives:The Politics & History of Family Violence in Boston.
92. Gorn, Elliiot. Mother Jones: The Most Dangerous Woman in America.
93. Gossett, Thomas. Race : The History of an Idea in America.
94. Gould, Stephen Jay. The Mismeasure of Man.
95. Graber, Doris. Mass Media and American Politics.
96. Griffith, Elisabeth. In Her Own Right: A Life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton (NAK)
97. Griffin, John Howard, Black Like Me
98. Gross, Martin. The End of Sanity.
99. Gyory, Andrew. Closing the Gate: Race, Politics and the Chinese Exclusion Act.
100. Halbertam, David. The Best and the Brightest.
101.Haley, Alex; The Autobiography of Malcom X
102.Hall, Bruce. Tea That Burns: A Family Memoir of Chinatown.
103.Harington, Michael. The Other America.
104. Harris, Marvin. Why Nothing Works.
105. Hegi, Ursala. Being German in America.
106. Higham, John. Strangers in the Land: Patterns of American Nativism . 1860-1925.
107. Holton, Woody. Forced Founders: Indians Debtors, Slaves & the Making of the American Revolution in Virginia.
108. Hooks, Bell. Ain’t I A Women: Black Women Feminism.
109. Horowitz, David. Hating Whitey and Other Progressive Causes.
110. Howard, Philip. The Death of Common sense: How Law is Suffocating America.
111. Hurtado, Aida. The Color of Privilege.
112. Irons,P.J. Justice Delayed: The Records of the Japanese-American Internment Cases.
113. Jacobs, Harriet. Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl.
114. Jankowski, Martin Sanchez. Islands in the Street: Gangs and American Urban Society.
115. Jefferies, John. Wartime America : The World War II Home Front.
116. Jones, Jacqueline. The Dispossessed: America’s Underclass From the Civil War to The Present.
117. Jordan, Winthrop. The White Man’s Burden: Historical Origins of Racism in the U. S.
118. Kaiser, Charles. 1968 in America: Music, Politics, Chaos, Counterculture and the Shaping of A Generation.
119. Katz, Alfred. Self-Help in America: A Social Movement Perspective.
120. Kay, Jane Holtz. Asphalt Nation.
121. Keller, Morton. Affairs of State: Public Life in the Nineteenth Century
122. Kerr, K. Austin. Organized Prohibition; A New History of the Anti-Saloon League.
123. Kim, Elaine. East to America Korean-American Stories.
124. Kimmel, Michael. Manhood in America: A Cultural History.
the rest of the readings are located here
- Anonymous1 decade agoBest Answer
on this list definitely #97...very good read and good insight into the struggles of a "Black" man