Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

Can abdominal and liver bloating be caused by a fatty liver?

My mother's stomach/abdomen gets very, very bloated, usually after she eats. She says that flatulence usually makes the swelling go down.

Her liver also used to become enlarged and get swollen as well.

The last time she went to the doctor, I believe she was diagnosed with a fatty liver.

I know that a symptom of liver cancer is a swollen abdomen and a swollen liver, and of course, I'm hoping that she doesn't have that.

However, her family does have a history of liver disease on it's side - her mother, my grandmother, died of liver cancer in fact.

So I'm very, very worried.

She hasn't been diagnosed with liver cancer - only with the fatty liver.

She IS old, she IS obese, and she does have a family history of liver disease.

As of right now, she's on medication. The medicine has stopped her liver from swelling up and hurting, but her stomach and abdomen still swell up and become very, very tight.

Can a fatty liver cause this? Or is it automatically liver cancer from what I described?

Favorite Answer

Fatty liver disease can advance to

NASH which is Non alcoholic steatohepatitis

Steato stands for fat, hepat stands for liver,

and Itis stands for inflammation.

Inflammation in the liver develops because

the cells of the liver have become damaged.

The immune system of the body responds

to this and causes this inflammation.

This inflammation, that causes the liver

to enlarge in size, can lead to death of the

liver cells and scar tissue formation inside

the liver...this is known as Cirrhosis of the

liver.

People who develop Cirrhosis of the liver

start to retain fluid in their abdomen because

the liver can no longer make a protein known

as Albumin. This fluid is known as Ascites.

It can cause fast weight gain. There is a

procedure to drain this fluid, known as

paracentesis. I would check about this

with her gastroenterologist or hepatologist

that she is with. They can do an exam

and determine if this is fluid build up or not.

Fatty liver disease can start from a number

of different reasons and they are still in

research to discover others now.

Diabetes, weight gain, alcohol, insulin resistance,

medications like steriods, high cholesterol/

triglyceride levels and more.

I hope this information has been of some

help to you.

Source(s): caregiver to a liver transplant patient

1

Source(s): Eliminate Bloating Naturally Forever - http://BloatingCure.ohfos.com/?HWD
  • Grace

Fatty liver disease affects a whopping 30% of the population. That's 30 out of every 100 people! And some estimates have it at 33%.

And if you're overweight, it's even worse overweight people are extremely more likely than healthy weight individuals to develop this condition.

In other words, you're not alone. Not by a long shot.

Other fatty liver sufferers have reversed their condition, lost weight, and rediscovered their energy, using completely natural remedies. And that means you can, too!

Keep reading to discover more...

Exercise or no exercise you won't be able to lose the weight if you don't cut your food intake but we all know that's pretty hard, right? A good appetite suppressant can help you out big time but it has to be natural or you can get into serious heath problems.

I lost 38 lbs in 2 months by using garcinia cambogia extract (FDA approved 100% natural). In my first month 26 and then 12 the second month. I was an emotional eater and these supplements changed my life. They act like an appetite suppressant so I didn't feel like eating anymore. Not hungry anymore -> Lower calories -> Lose weight, simple as that. I did no exercises just 20 minutes walks 5 days a week.

It's been 4 months since I lost the weight and I did not gain any pounds back, actually I lost another 5 lbs (I stop taking them after I lost the weight). If you want to take a look here is a website where you can find discounts: http://www.garciniacambogiapromo.com I got them 30% off from here. Hope this helps!

It sounds like your mom is getting gas from eating food. This is a common problem and the only good treatment is to avoid the offending food. There are gimmicky drugs out on the market (ie: BEANO), but these products do not really work. She would have to be a detective and figure which food is not agreeing with her gut. There are different causes for a fatty liver and a small percentage can progress to liver cancer. However, the symptoms you describe sound like gas. Tell your mom to get a full check-up so you can both get on with your lives...

Have different causes leading to fatty liver include:

Eating excess calories causes fat to build up in the liver. When the liver does not process and break down fats as it normally should, too much fat will accumulate. People tend to develop fatty liver if they have certain other conditions, such as obesity, diabetes or high triglycerides.

Alcohol abuse, rapid weight loss and malnutrition may also lead to fatty liver. However, some people develop fatty liver even if they have none of these conditions.

and to treat fatty liver effectively you need to have healthy diet and regular exercise to improve your health.

In some month agos, my friend found many ways to treat his fatty liver disease so he found a web and admit it,he know the natural measures to have effective treatment. you can see at here: http://adola.net/go/fattyliver-bible/

Hope this useful!

Also include 10 grams associated with fiber to satiate hunger longer preventing bloating from constipation.

Label each with time in addition to calorie amounts to avoid eating everything at the same time.

execute a handful of biceps curls every time you get buying luggage

beverage mineral water without enhanced glucose