Can abdominal and liver bloating be caused by a fatty liver?

My mother's stomach/abdomen gets very, very bloated, usually after she eats. She says that flatulence usually makes the swelling go down. Her liver also used to become enlarged and get swollen as well. The last time she went to the doctor, I believe she was diagnosed with a fatty liver. I know that a... show more My mother's stomach/abdomen gets very, very bloated, usually after she eats. She says that flatulence usually makes the swelling go down.

Her liver also used to become enlarged and get swollen as well.

The last time she went to the doctor, I believe she was diagnosed with a fatty liver.

I know that a symptom of liver cancer is a swollen abdomen and a swollen liver, and of course, I'm hoping that she doesn't have that.

However, her family does have a history of liver disease on it's side - her mother, my grandmother, died of liver cancer in fact.

So I'm very, very worried.

She hasn't been diagnosed with liver cancer - only with the fatty liver.

She IS old, she IS obese, and she does have a family history of liver disease.

As of right now, she's on medication. The medicine has stopped her liver from swelling up and hurting, but her stomach and abdomen still swell up and become very, very tight.

Can a fatty liver cause this? Or is it automatically liver cancer from what I described?