promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
? asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

is it okay to wear a black wedding dress in a church?

my future husband and i are having a quick... i guess you could say "shotgun" wedding. my bridesmaids will wear very informal purple dresses and the groomsmen are wearing black slacks and white button up shirts with sneakers... no coat/blazer. we're not the "traditional" type, but we're not gothic or anything like that. i'm not all into having all the attention on me... i just want my wedding to be all of our friends together celebrating our commitment. BUT because we're also limited with funds, it's free to get married in a church. we can't have the wedding outside because it will be in the winter. we want to have the wedding at the church and the reception at someone's home.

ALSO: if i wear black, will it look weird if my groom wears a black suit?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

In terms of "is it ok" do you mean is it accepted?

YES!!! Anything is acceptable for you to wear to your wedding, no matter the setting. That is why it is YOUR WEDDING, your dream day. The only thing you have to keep in mind is what the rules of the church are. Many churches have their own rules for attire, photography and decor and this may be something to keep in mind when planning your wedding day. First, prioritize what is more important to you, a specific venue that you can not get married without or the dress of your dreams that can't be compromised. If you want the black wedding dress, double check that your venue allows it before you confirm that venue and/or before you sign a contract on the gown.

It wouldn't be weird that your groom has a black suit on because it ties the two of you together and it's not like you two have matching gowns on, so you will each be able to stand out on your own and as a newly married couple.

My relative got married in black and it was beautiful and she was able to wear her gown again on their 1st anniversary because it wasn't the traditional white dress.

Most of all remember - THIS IS YOUR DAY, DO IT YOUR WAY! Congrats and have a BLAST!!!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Well, It depends what kind of black dress. If it is dressy looking with maybe a patern or a nice shape to it and if it's not too long than it would be okay. If you are going to wear that black dress, dont wear a belt with it, it might be "over doing it". What you should do it get very outgoing or silver jewelry, with an elegent necklace and get open toed high-heels, and/or closed toe pointed high-heals. i hope I'v halped you!good luck hint hint-for your make-up, don't wear dark colors, tryy going with the light/pale colors like light grey/silver with a mettalic white just where you eyebrow ends and your eye lid starts. -Gabby

• 1 decade ago

Of course. I saw pictures of this one wedding with a bride in a white crystal studded mini skirt and a tank top which barely came over her chest, and they were allowed to get married in a church.

As long as the groom has some kind of other colour on him, like a tie or scarf, I think it would look OK.

• 1 decade ago

A good friend of mine got maried in a black lace dress. All the rest of us friends of hers said "Only she would do that." Another old pal got married in his home with both he and his bride wearing jeans and black Jack Daniels T-shirts. The church officials might frown at such garb, but these days even they are usually open minded about everything. Good luck to you and your new husband.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well it is YOUR wedding you can wear what ever color you'd like but i wouldn't personally go with black how about a nice cream color or beige even bronze? something a little lighter that wont look like your husband and his groomsmen are all matching with you. But its your night to remember so anything that you feel good and confident in.

Source(s): Im having a small wedding in a couple of weeks im just sticking with the traditonal white dress. ")
  • 1 decade ago

No, who cares? Its your wedding do as you wish. I don't think it is wrong to wear a black dress in a church. Maybe if it had like "hail satan 666" on it it might lol.

• 1 decade ago

Unless you are having a goth wedding, a black wedding dress signifies that you are being forced into this marriage. The black is worn in protest, not as a fashion statement (as it is in goth).

• 1 decade ago

Remember that colors has it's one meaning black means

darkness you cant wish darkness on your wedding day can you?you have to think too far than detroying your special day

• 1 decade ago

Please don't wear black,ok? Since the groom will be in black too. Just put on some lighter color. Then try to enjoy your day.Its in the mind. Good luck! http://unique-wedding-planning.blogspot.com/2009/0...

• 1 decade ago

Whatever you want, it's your day. X

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.