Is this a scam artist at work?

Okay, so I heard a ad on the radio, explaining about auditions. And to call a number. I did. But the same day I called, I ran into my friends mother at a store, I told her the great news and she frowned. She said that they say IN THE AUDITION you've made it." Does that happen? And she also said,"... show more Okay, so I heard a ad on the radio, explaining about auditions. And to call a number. I did. But the same day I called, I ran into my friends mother at a store, I told her the great news and she frowned. She said that they say IN THE AUDITION you've made it." Does that happen? And she also said," After that they ask you for 2000$(CANADIAN) or more for 'lessons'.
The mother said she didnt have the money.
The person who asked her for the money at the audition in the first place asked,
' Do you have a grandparent to borrow from?'
...
I did not go to the audition, I do not want to get scammed.
But honestly, do you guys think that sounds kinda...unordinary?
I mean usually at auditions, they call you back WEEKS later telling you if you have made it, not strait then and there.
Even if it is just a commercial.
Do you all think I made the right choice? Do you think that they were scammers, that would run and leave with the money and never call back?
Please tell me.
Update: the guys name director or whatever was Joe Lorenzo
The number was 888-999- something
Update 2: They said they didn't need professional head shots