Being An exchange student? Urgent!!?

I want to be an exchange student in spain.. I am in 11th grade I was going to do my exchange for my last year of highschool which is next year in 2010 ...and I wanted to do the exchange in colledge too can you tell me the aproximate cost and what requirements is needed I am from USA new york if anyone was a exchange student can you tell me bout your experience I really want this can i get a scholarship and how? I want to be a English teacher for Spanish plp who can't afford to learn English and teach Spanish to americans who want to learn thank you! My friend also wants to do the same but she doesn't speak Spanish does she have to know Spanish to go what are the requirements for her will she be provided with Spanish classes if we leave to finish highschool in Spain

Favorite Answer

I think it's great that you are thinking about this. Being an exchange student is an experience unlike any other! I am a 5-time host mom and volunteer with Youth For Understanding (YFU). Please forgive my bias towards YFU - when I have asked other exchange students why they chose YFU, they said they did some research and YFU (basically) gave them more bang for their buck. I'll say more about YFU later.

The first step to becoming an exchange student is giving it some good thought - which you have apparently done. Hopefully you have spoken with your parents and teachers as well. A universal (as far as I know) requirement for being an exchange student is that you are between the ages of 15 and 18.5 at the time of the exchange. YFU (and possibly other organizations) offers a "gap" or 13th-year program for newly-graduated students in addition to the standard year, semester, and summer programs.

I would advise the next step to be researching and choosing an organization with which to travel. My biggest piece of advice is to choose an organization listed with the Council for Standards on International Exchange Travel (csiet.org). They routinely audit programs to help insure quality. Here is where my bias will show: I highly recommend YFU. As with many other programs, YFU screens the host families for safety and appropriateness for each student (for example, if you believe it is morally wrong to kill animals for the purpose of eating them, they will do their best to not place you with a cattle rancher). Each student will have a local volunteer and a national office whose purpose it is to assist the student and family, whether there are difficulties with language, adaptation, or money. (Speaking of money, 95% of the fees collected by YFU go for direct program costs (airline tickets, etc.) and only 5% is for overhead.) I've listed some sources below. Check them out. The website (yfu-usa.org) has a wealth of information on it, including stories from previous exchange students and an opportunity to contact their parents.

Next I would suggest choosing the country to which you wish to travel. You mention Spain. Again, the website has a wealth of information. I will have to admit that programs to France, Spain, Ireland, and any part of Great Britain will be more expensive - those programs pay the host families. (In other countries, families do it solely for the love of it - I'm sure families who get paid also love it, but the money must be nice too.) A year or semester program will cost you a little less than $12K. They also have 2 summer programs that are considerably less expensive. For the year and semester programs to Spain, 2 years of Spanish study are required. For the summer program, no previous experience is required. If you are willing to consider other countries, YFU has programs in Uruguay, Argentina, and Chile that don't require previous experience (with Chile, if you don't have a basic handle on Spanish, you will have an additional 'camp' at an additional cost). These countries are also considerably cheaper.

You will need to fill out an application. This can be done online, over the phone, or by fax/email. Please be honest on the application - for example, if you are allergic to cats, say so. After this, you will have an in-person interview. I have been the interviewer for this - it's not an interrogation; we just want to make sure we can find a good host family for you.

You can also apply for scholarships. With YFU, in a typical year 500 students go overseas for year, semester, or summer programs. 300 will have either a partial or full scholarship. Some of the scholarships heavily consider financial need; some heavily consider academics. (As a note, if your family hosts an exchange student before you leave, you will get a "price break".)

All students with YFU must have a 2.0 (on 4.0 scale) for summer programs and 3.0 for semester and year programs. The primary reason for this is so that struggling students won't lose precious time at school. Also, after the student goes overseas, they will be attending school and must maintain decent grades (I apologize, I do not know the specifics).

Check out the website, do a little research, and talk to your teachers.

I wish you luck no matter what you choose!

Source(s): yfu-usa.org 1-800-TEENAGE http://www.youtube.com/yfuusa07

Yes, call her boss. This is always an acceptable recourse when you do not receive enough help or information from an underling. Also, be prepared to have someone from the school or other officials speak on his behalf. It is not like you are housing an illegal alien - exchange students are perfecting legal providing they have all of the necessary documentation.

hmmmmm talk to your guidence counsler and try to go to a college that has an exchange program most do

• Kelly

http://www.ayusa.org/

http://www.fitamerica.org/

http://www.afs.org/afs_or/home

Those should help you get started.

Good Luck and have Fun!!