Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Does the act of robbery become magically ethical if committed by an employee of the Internal Revenue Service?

The "It isn't immoral if the government does it." sounds suspiciously like RIchard Nixon's "It isn't illegal if the President does it." defense.

http://mises.org/story/2500

9 Answers

Relevance
  • L.T.M.
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

That's interesting. In the original draft of our Declaration of Independence (before it was edited to be more politically correct) was the phrase "Life, Liberty, and Property"

If we assume that the individual has an indisputable right to life, we must concede that he has a similar right to the enjoyment of the products of his labor. This we call a property right. The absolute right to property follows from the original right to life because one without the other is meaningless; the means to life must be identified with life itself.

If the state has a prior right to the products of one's labor, his right to existence is qualified. Aside from the fact that no such prior right can be established, except by declaring the state the author of all rights, our inclination (as shown in the effort to avoid paying taxes) is to reject this concept of priority. Our instinct is against it. We object to the taking of our property by organized society just as we do when a single unit of society commits the act. In the latter case we unhesitatingly call the act robbery, a malum in se. It is not the law which in the first instance defines robbery, it is an ethical principle, and this the law may violate but not supersede.

Aside from the fact that no such prior right can be established, except by declaring the state the author of all rights, <

There you have it. That's what our current political battle is all about.

Many believe our rights are granted by the State. They are wrong!

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Thanks for the link.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. It seems 99% of people disagree with me though. They've been brainwashed to think income taxes are necessary because they don't know we used to function without them. Many also think that federal income taxes are the primary funding for local police and fire judging by responses I've received about tax questions.

• 1 decade ago

Not paying your taxes is no longer illegal if you become a member of the President's Cabinet. It is only illegal if YOU do it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"I'm No Crook"

Name two or three things that any part of the government does that would be legal in any private setting.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

That was also Condie Rice who said that.

The IRS has the authority to tax you. Sorry to disappoint you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It may be immoral, but since they have the most guns, no one will stand in their way.

You're a bit too idealistic to be an adult. I hope you're still a teen, at most.

• 1 decade ago

Nope - just legal.

• 1 decade ago

yes, according to obama and the liberals.

• guru
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I expect the check for what I was robbed to pay for you. Please forward it immediately.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.