Do you take anti-depressants? How long did it take to feel an improvement?

I asked my tutor (a practising psychiatrist) how long AD's REALLY take to work. Scientifically, I couldn't and can't see why they take 2 weeks to work as manufacturers claim. He said they work within hours of taking them and that they tell you 14 days to improve compliance as people often stop taking... show more I asked my tutor (a practising psychiatrist) how long AD's REALLY take to work. Scientifically, I couldn't and can't see why they take 2 weeks to work as manufacturers claim.

He said they work within hours of taking them and that they tell you 14 days to improve compliance as people often stop taking them due to side effects.

To test him out some friends and I took some AD's. We took 50mg amitriptyline and then a week later, 50mg sertraline. He was right.....

Amitriptyline knocked me out initially. I woke up shortly after and felt unusual but my thoughts were much clearer and I felt good generally.

Sertraline worked within an hour. I felt amazing, almost manic - it was cool!

Four of us took part and all reported similar feelings.

I wanted to know why people who take AD's constantly say it'll take two weeks when other people ask for advice. I mean I have taken them and they work straight away + my tutors comments back me up!

I guess some may say 'your not depressed/anxious'. Really though you try being a medical student; its not that far off!

So anyway, honestly, how long did it take for your AD to make a noticeable change in mood?

I'm just curious...
Update: Chem grad I am not arguing that people are different and that long term effects take time. Amitriptyline is a sedative sleepiness was expected. I was interested in instant effects. Think about it. As soon as drug is metabolised its in the blood stream and binds to its receptor. Even in a depressed patient with... show more Chem grad I am not arguing that people are different and that long term effects take time. Amitriptyline is a sedative sleepiness was expected. I was interested in instant effects. Think about it. As soon as drug is metabolised its in the blood stream and binds to its receptor. Even in a depressed patient with (possibly) low serotonin/other NTs, an SSRI will IMMEDIATELY (as soon as it binds) increase serotonin concentration in the synaptic cleft thus elevating mood. This happened to me and it should happen in people susceptible to that particular SSRI.

Oh and I know the difference between SE and mood effect!