Long Science Fiction Books?

I'm a long time science fiction nerd, but I haven't actually sat down and read very many novels, or any for that matter. I usually stick to fantasy for some reason. Anyways, I've been craving it like MAD lately and I really just want a nice, looooongg science fiction book to read (or a series). No Star Wars, Star Treks, Dune, or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy please. Though things similar are loved. I'd prefer if it had some aliens and spaceships and stuff like that. ^^

Thank you in advance.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In SCIENCE FICTION, here are some I would recommend:

"Foundation" (1951) by Issac Asimov

(the first book of the "Foundation Series")

Postulates the societal change, which would accompany the expansion into the stars.

The seiries won the one-time Hugo Award for "Best All-Time Series" in 1966.

(One of the other books in the series also won a Hugo Award.)

"I Robot” (1950) the book of early short stories by Issac Asimov on the subject of ROBOTS in which he postulates the "Three Laws of Robotics" should be read as a basis before reading the

"The Caves of Steel" (1954) by Issac Asimov

(the first of the "Robot" series / Lije Bailey mysteries)

These books are the source from which the movie "I, Robot" is drawn.

"Dorsai" (1959) by Gordon R. Dickson

(the first book of “The Childe Cycle”)

Deals with genetic drift and specialization, and there effects on humanity as a whole.

Nominated for the Hugo award.

"The Forever War" (1974) by Joe Haldeman

Deals with the effect of time dilation, on those involved in an interstellar war.

(Won the Hugo and Nebula Awards.)

"Forever Free" (1999) by Joe Haldeman

(the sequel to “The Forever War” (1974) which won the Hugo and Nebula Awards)

“On Basilisk Station” (1993) by David Weber

(the first book in the "Honor Harrington" series)

This Space Navy series has FEMALE lead character. Beyond the Technology of the spacecraft and weapons, the story revolves around interpersonal relationships with which you will be able to identify.

"Warriors Apprentice" (1986) by Lois McMaster Bujold

(the first book of "The Vorkosigan Saga")

After being genetically "damaged" by a bio weapon in his mother's womb, Miles Vorkosigan overcomes prejudice to claim his birthright.

"Cross Time Engineer" series - (aka the "Conrad Stargard" series)

by Leo Frankowski

which begins with "The Cross Time Engineer" (1993)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Frankow…

Its even better if you are POLISH as the main character is as well!

This was an eye opening look at how technology could transform a society, and gave some very good descriptions of simple improvements that lead to our own industrial revolution.

I guess you can tell I loved these books.

"The Forge" (1991) by S.M. Stirling.

(the first book of "The General" series)

"An Oblique Approach" (1998) by Eric Flint

(the first book of the "Belisarius" series)

"Hammer's Slammers" (1979) by David Drake

(the first book of the "Hammer's Slammers" series)

“With the Lightnings” (1998) by David Drake

(the first book of the “Republic of Cinnabar Navy (RCN)”/ “Lt. Leary” series)

"Sten" (1982) by Chris Bunch and Allen Cole

(the first book of "The Sten Chronicles")

Sten is orphaned and then recruited into the Eternal Emperor's "Mantis" covert intelligence corps.

"The Man Who Never Missed" (1985) by Steve Perry

(the first book of "The Matador" series)

"The Planet Savers" (1958) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

(the first book of the "Darkover" series)

"Weyr Search" (1967) by Anne McCaffrey

(the first book in the "Dragonriders of Pern" series)

“For Love of Mother-Not” (1983) Alan Dean Foster

(the first book in the “Humanx” series - featuring Pip and Flinx)

“1632” (2000) by Eric Flint

(first book of the “Ring of Fire” alternate history series)

“The Last Legion” (1999) by Chris Bunch

(the first book of “The Last Legion” series – Space/Military)

“The Ship Who Sang” (1969) by Anne McCaffrey

(the first book of “The Brain & Brawn Ship” series)

"Sassinak" (1990) by Anne McCaffrey

(the first book of “The Planet Pirates trilogy”)

Has a FEMALE lead character.

"Bolo" (1976) by Keith Laumer

(first book of the "Bolo" series – about self aware tanks)

"Island in the Sea of Time" (1998) by S.M. Stirling.

(the first book of the "Nantucket" series)

“Mutineers' Moon” (1991) by David Weber.

(the first book in the “Dahak trilogy”)

“Insurrection” (1993) by David Weber & Steve White

(the first book in the “Starfire” series)

“Prince of Sunset” (1998) by Steve White

(the first book in the “Prince of Sunset” series)

“Once a Hero“ (1997) by Elizabeth Moon

(first book of the “Esmay Suiza” trilogy)

Another Space Navy series with a FEMALE main character.

Beyond the Technology of the spacecraft and weapons, the story revolves around a personal struggle for identify with which you will be able to identify.

“In the Balance” (1994) by Harry Turtledove

(Aliens invade in the middle of World War II)

(first book of the “Worldwar” Sci-Fi/Alternate History Series)

“Gateway” (1977) by Frederik Pohl.

(won the Hugo and Nebula Awards)

“Rendezvous with Rama” (1972) by Arthur C. Clarke

(won the Hugo and Nebula Awards)

“The Ayes of Texas” (1982) by Daniel Da Cruz

(the first book of the “Republic of Texas” series)

About commercial space exploration.

To the best of my recollection all of these are in the

350+ page range.

Source(s): almost 40 years reading Sci-Fi
  • 1 decade ago

Ender's Game is so good, and it's about 350 pages. Not really long but it feels long when you're reading. The Hyperion Duet is over 1000 pages long. The first book is called Hyperion and it is about 500 pages. It was very popular in the 90s. Also read the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, and if you don't mind graphic novels, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is a recommended sci-fi story similar to Dune.

• 1 decade ago

I would suggest reading Isaac Asmiov's Foundation series. While the individual books are not long (by fantasy standards) there are several books in the series. My understanding is they are about to shoot a movie based on the first book so you should definitely read it before it comes out and be prepared. They are a moderate to heavy read as far as difficulty...not quite Tolkien or Brooks, but definitely above Timothy Zahn.

I also enjoyed a series of books called "Lucasfilm's Alien Chronicles" by Deborah Chester. They were quite enjoyable, easy reads with plenty of aliens. There are three books in that series.

• Mia
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

There is a pretty long series by Lois McMaster Bujold that seems like something you'd enjoy. It's the Miles Vorkosigan series, and you can find a list of her books on amazon or here: http://www.dendarii.com/

If you want to give her a try for free, there are some excerpts available online: http://www.dendarii.com/ebooks.html

I would start with The Warrior's Apprentice. There are 10 chapters of it up.

There are spaceships, some aliens, and tons of very awesome characters.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Ender's Game series, by Orson Scott Card. There are currently eleven books in the series, with a twelfth, Shadows in Flight, on the way.

Ender's Game and its sequel, Speaker for the Dead, both won Hugo and Nebula awards. My personal favorites are Ender's Game and its parallel novel, Ender's Shadow. These just might be the best books you will ever read, so savor them.

• 1 decade ago

I got Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton for my birthday. It's just over 1100 pages in paperback. It has spaceships. Judging from the blurb, it's probably got aliens too. I've no idea whether it's any good, as I haven't started reading it yet, but it's undoubtedly long.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

20,000 Legues under the Sea doesn't have aliens, but it's a pretty alien location for most of the book. Other books by Jules Verne are set up like this. H.G. Wells wrote some alien books other than War of the Worlds, but none of them are very long.

• 1 decade ago

For a long series, try the best ever written.

"Foundation" by Issac Asimov.

Another would be "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

For a great stand alone novel, you can't beat "Stranger In A Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein.

Enjoy

• 1 decade ago

I recommend some of the following books/series:

David Weber - Honor Harrington series, starting with On Basilisk Station. 11 book series with several additional books set in the "Honorverse". Classic military/space opera - lots of space battles and political intrigue. He has several other books/series worth reading as well.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/david-weber/

Karen Traviss - Wess'Har series, starting with City of Pearl. 6 book series featuring human/alien interaction, ethical and moral standards, questions about immortality and responsibility. Very well written. She has also written several other books in the Star Wars and Gears of War universes.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/karen-traviss/

SL Viehl - Stardoc series, BioRescue series. Stardoc is currently at 9 books. Futuristic medical type drama with aliens, space battles, political intrigue and genetic modifications.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/v/s-l-viehl/

Harry Turtledove - Worldwar Series, Colonisation series (7 books). Aliens invade Earth during the height of WWII, expecting a medieval civilization. Interesting new alliances are created to prevent the aliens from conquering Earth. And although not sci-fi, I also recommend many of his other titles, such as Guns of the South, the Great War, American Empire and Settling Accounts series and many others.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/harry-turtledo...

Anne McCaffrey - Catteni series, starting with Freedom's Landing. A young human woman (along with many other humans and aliens) is kidnapped and enslaved by the Catteni to assist in colonizing other worlds for their use. She escapes and becomes part of a rebellion to try to stop the Catteni overlords.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/anne-mccaffrey...

Other books/series you might be interested in that aren't sci-fi:

Eric Flint - 1632 Universe (Assiti Shards). A small West Virginia town is transported back to 1632 Germany in the midst of the Thirty Year's War and struggles to maintain their way of life while making alliances or fighting with local powers and controlling the spread of technology.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/eric-flint/

SM Stirling - Nantucket series. The island of Nantucket and a Coast Guard ship are transported back in time 3500 years. Their technology works, but they still have to struggle to keep the infrastructure functional while making alliances with the locals and controlling the spread of technology. Follow this up with its' sister series (below).

SM Stirling - Dies the Fire series. A mysterious incident called "The Change" causes electricity and gunpowder to no longer work. 90% of the world population dies and man must relearn largely forgotten skills to survive.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/s-m-stirling/

Most of these authors write all across the fantasy/sci-fi spectrum, so be sure to check out some of their other titles at the links above. I have only included books or series by these authors that I have read. You might find some of the others more to your liking.

• 1 decade ago

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

• 1 decade ago

You could try Joan D. Vinge's books "The Winter Queen" and "The Summer Queen". They ARE long... And they're Hugo Award winners, too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.