VJ asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastKenya · 1 decade ago

Any Masai Mara experiences?

We (3 adults) wish to travel from Dubai to Nairobi and the masai mara safari for 4 days and 3 nights.. Could we some experiences on budget travel and Dos and Donts.

Favorite Answer

I've been to Simba Lodge @ Masai Mara!!!

It was wonderful, the most amazing experience of my life! I went for a few days in March of 2005 and I remember it as if it was yesterday. I booked it with a travel agency in downtown Nairobi, my aunt who lives in Kenya told the people we were residents so we got a discount ;) but it is overall pricey. We paid American and CDN dollars. But it was worth it!

The lodge is amazing, it's outdoorsy and has a beautiful scenary overlooking a river below. The Masai come out during dinner and dance, perform and of course, to their infamous jumping! The safari itself was breathtaking, the animals were so beautiful and peaceul. I took so many pictures, I couldnt help myself. The jaguar hides, so it is hard to spot! We never found one, even after 3 different days of safari.

The food/buffet is AMAZING! They have soo many types of juices you feel like you are living in a 5-star (im sure it is!) outdoor resort. It's great!

The only downfall is that I had some sort of foodpoisoning/inflammation and was sick for a day or two :(

The other downfall is the 5-6 hour ride from Nairobi to Masai Mara, which is on unpaved bumpy roads (dont even try to sleep -it aint happenin!)

Make sure you try all the activites there and take lots of pictures. It's an amazing experience, I long to go back! I am moving to Kenya, i love it THAT much. And i am learning Swahili. The people and staff are so friendly!

There were many other North American travellers, everyone talked to each and it was such a warming experience.

Email if you have anymore questions, good luck with planning. I highly recommend you going! Its an experience like no other and you will NOT regret it!

If you aren't going to book until you get there, you can usually get some pretty good deals from the Nairobi safari outfitters. As I recall most of them are on the street between the Hilton and the Thorntree hotels. Talk to other tourists in the Thorntree street cafe. But you will probably waste 24 hours getting everything set-up.

Source(s): personal experience although it has been 10 years or so.

Nairobi conjures most of the romance and adventure of its vivid colonial days and is an excellent place to pay your vacation, find out more with hotelbye . Among the things worth see is the Nairobi's wealthy record and tribal tradition is brought alive in their excellent museums and the Karen Blixen Museum in one of the museum many visited. Also in Nairobi you can visit Nairobi National Park. The park is really a rhino refuge and safeguards over 50 of the significantly put at risk creatures. Along with the rhinos, visitors may see: lions, gazelles, buffaloes, warthogs, cheetahs, zebras, giraffes, and ostriches, and significantly more than 400 species of birds have now been recorded in the wetlands and here, the Nairobi Safari Walk is a favorite appeal offering dog fans the chance to spot wildlife on base, and walking paths weave about the area called Hippo Pools. Nairobi is surely a town where full the family will enjoy.

Kenya offers a great vacation destination , you will experience the wildlife and stay in quality accommodations. You should avoid changing currency at the airport (always change at Forex Bureaus in the City Center - exchange rates at the airport are very low), Its advisable to carry mosquito repellants and always travel light, It gets really cold at night in the Mara - so you should carry some warm clothing for the evenings.

Below is a sample Itinerary. I'm a tour guide / Consultant based in Nairobi. You can get me at xkcox@yahoo.com

Day 1: Nairobi - Masai Mara, Kenya

Depart Nairobi, the capital of Kenya, on your 04 day Masai Mara/Nakuru Safari tour through The Great African Rift Valley and Narok Town. Arrive in time for lunch at your preferred lodge to include leisure. An afternoon game drive will follow to explore Hemingways country and Lion, Cheetah, Elephant, Buffalo and other animals of the same order. Stay at Mara Sarova Camp, located on the southeast boundary of the Maasai Mara on a natural hill between two streams. Spacious tents have private terraces and hardwood floors, and are complete with electric light, flush toilets, and hot water. Enjoy a dip in the large pool, or an evening lecture with local Maasai guides. Area activities include game drives and nature walks with resident Maasai naturalists in nearby areas outside the reserve. Dinner and overnight stay at Sarova Mara Camp, L,D.

Day 2 : Masai Mara, Kenya

This natural wonder of Masai Mara is to be explored now which includes the extensive plains which include not only the well known predatory animals but also with Zebra, Wildebeest, Giraffe, Hippo and the dangerous Crocodiles. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and overnight at Sarova Mara Camp, B,L,D.

Day 3: Masai Mara to Lake Nakuru, Kenya

Depart to Lake Nakuru National Park to arrive in time for lunch at Sarova Lion Hill Lodge. Set on a plateau in an elevation above Lake Nakuru, Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge has 67 chalets all overlooking the lake, within the Lake Nakuru National Park . It is the perfect place to experience one of the world's largest ornithological spectacles, The Pink Flamingo, or a rich concentration of wildlife including black and white colobus monkey and is also a famed Rhino Sanctuary. In the afternoon proceed on a game drive in this famous ornithological spectacle for flamingoes. Dinner and overnight at Sarova Lion Hill Lodge, B,L,D.

Day 4: Lake Nakuru to Nairobi, Kenya

Early morning game viewing. After breakfast, drive back to Nairobi to arrive in the afternoon where the tour ends, B.

Tour Cost: USD 1200 Per Person Sharing. Single room supplement: USD 220

Tour Cost Includes:

-Guarantee price/guarantee safari on confirmation

-All ground transport whilst on safari in a comfortable safari vehicle equipped for game viewing, photography and touring

-Full board accommodation whilst on safari and meal plan as described, B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner

-Accommodation in double/triple room

-All park entrance fees to include government taxes

-Service of an English speaking professional driver/guide

-All game drives as detailed in the itinerary

-Bottled water whilst on safari

-Start and end in Nairobi.

-Personalised service

Tour Cost excludes:

-Tips

-Laundry

-Beverages/Drinks

-International flights

-Visas

-Items of a personal nature

-Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary

the masai,s mostly stay in rural areas out of twn so if u travel out of twn u ar bound to meet them with maybe a flock of sheep or cows

Source(s): i have seen them personally