When you hyphenate a name like john smith-dough which part of the last name can u remove legally?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    the person doing the hyphenating is normally the parent, and by choice, to show that John's parents were both Smith and Dough. In Mexico, it is common to have the surnames of both parents. In the US, the custom is normally to use the last name of the father. Of course, you go into other sections of yahoo, and the standard question is how to leave unmarried dad OFF the birth certificate, but here, we are defining who the parent is.

    If the birth cert shows the baby's last name is both, then changing it is a legal process. That is done by filing a court petition (the parent has to do it, for a minor). If you want to make it standard, then leave off the mom's last name and use the father's. If doing a legal name change, it can be made anything you want.

    Honestly, I'd smack my kids if they saddled their baby with a hypenated name. I do happen to have a brand new grandson..daughter is married but hasn't changed her records and uses maiden name. At the hospital, we had to clarify a few times that mom/dad are married. Baby has dad's last name. My daughter needs to get off her rear and use her married name, if she wants to avoid confusion.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    There are a couple things that are tradition in naming and they have been addresses. Legally in the US you can use any name you want as long as you have no intend to defraud. If you want to legally change your name petition the court.

    Finally in the US in the last 15 or so years it has become the fad to both parents names, the mothers name usually appears first. Several

    people I know now use their mothers maiden name as a middle name.

    So John Smith-Dough, would appear John S. Dough or John Smith Dough. A century or more ago prominent families used this naming method. Families of the very wealthy, or ones who could trace their families back to the 1600 in the US. So names like John Smith Dough could indicate the John Smith of Jamestown VA was a relative.

    Personally what I thing is most appropriate is to use the Smith as an initial. So it could appear John S. Dough or if there is already a middle name it could appear John A(lbert) S(mith) Dough. Your name at, least once you are legally an adult, is yours and you can basically do with it what you want.

    I will say that these naming traditions and then the changing of them by the person makes genealogy a mystery and a researcher every bit

    the detective

    Source(s): Genealogical Researcher 35+ years
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Robin
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    This is a tricky question. It varies from country to country. In the US a woman can hyphenate her name using her maiden name first and her husband's name last. In the European Union (France, Germany, etc.) it is reversed. Technically in this case the woman can legally remove her maiden name from the formula. Now if a person's birth certificate has both names then neither one can be removed.

    Source(s): Experience
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.